VIII

Word count: 3010!

I LOVE SLOW BURNS ILOVESLOWBURNS

----

Isaacs quads burned as he squatted down, the 300 pound weights over his shoulders threatening to collapse on him as Nick gently held the weights, spotting Isaac.

"Isaac, Take a break." Nick suggested reassuringly, gently lifting the weights off of Isaac and ushering him to a nearby bench.

Isaacs breaths were thick like smoke as he tried his best to continue breathing after one of the most intensive workouts of his life.

Working out was an escape for him, and right now, he needs to escape a lot of things. – Nick being one of them.

As he chugged the water that Nick had passed him, he tried to think of Nick as a friend. Just an old pal that he liked going to the gym with...and having sex with.

He tried to hard to see Nick the way he used to see him, but it was so hard. "He's not just my friend. Friends don't fuck." He thought, becoming lost in his mind as he started to drown in his own delusion.

The sound of Nick snapping at him with his fingers was able to pull him out, making him almost gasp for breath like a fish out a water.

"You good, Isy?" Nick asked playfully, dabbing a little bit of sweat off of his forehead with his already dampened cloth.

They were both sweaty messes, audibly breathing in between sips of water like toddlers. Their hair was messy, and stuck out in every direction.

Which kind of reminded Isaac of something he'd seen before. – He cringed at the thought and shook it off.

"Uh- Yeah, im alright. Ready to head out?" He replied, stammering a little at the beginning of his sentence before standing to his feet.

"Yup." Nick smiled widely, grabbing his and Isaacs gym bag before making a B-line to the car.

What was Isaac supposed to do in this situation?

---

Nicks car gently backed into the driveway, powering off after being put into park.

The loud silence was awkward, surrounding and trapping them like a blanket. After a few moments of awkward glances and terrible silences, Nick opened his mouth to talk.

"So...whens our little date?" He asked jokingly, flashing a wry smile.

Isaacs face turned a dark shade of red as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Oh- yeah I forgot about that. Tonight at like eight, maybe?" He replied, his voice shaking a little.

"Alright..." responded Nick.

As Issac went to open the car door, Nick locked it, smiling at him.

"Our...relations shouldn't get in the way of our friendship. You're my best friend and I don't want to lose you over some stupid hookup okay?" Nick assured sweetly before unlocking the door and stepping out. As soon as Nick was out of sight, Isaac rolled his eyes in exasperation before stepping out as well.

"Stupid hookup? Are you serious?" He thought, dragging his feet toward the door before jamming his key in and twisting it harshly, throwing open the door. He tried to reach his room as fast as he could, ignoring Larry's puzzled looks and Tanners bellowing laughs, but was eventually stopped by Nick.

"Isaac? Are you getting ready or something? I thought we were leaving in like two hours." Nick asked worriedly, his eyes narrowing in confusion.

Isaac didn't respond. He just stomped his way upstairs and shut the door behind him, throwing his sticky clothes onto the floor of his room before climbing into the shower. The cold water creeped along his back, leaving a tingling sensation. The cold water managed to ground him, gluing his feet to the ground as he gently massaged shampoo into his hair. "Stupid hookup....who does he think he is?" Isaac mumbled to himself, rinsing out the shampoo. He was careful not to get it in his eyes.