5

A nurse woke Kgomotso up for feeding time, she was happy to finally hold her baby but could do with a little bit of more rest because everything below her waist hurt. The videos she watched weren't enough preparation for what she went through but it was worth it because her baby boy was perfect. She unwrapped the blanket and examined all ten toes and fingers while he sucked on her breast, he didn't have a problem latching on because he was greedy.

"Have you decided on a name yet?" asked the nurse.

"No, not yet." Anesu was quick to answer.

They agreed to give the baby a Zulu and Sotho name but couldn't decide on which names to choose. Seeing the strawberry-red birthmark on his plump cheek reminded Kgomotso of the eerie dream she had because it was on the same spot where Kamo kissed him. She was a spiritual person and firmly believed that it was a sign of blessings and protection over her baby and Rorisang was an appropriate name.

"Will we be discharged today?"

She wasn't looking forward to another day at the hospital because she didn't want to re-live the trauma of her difficult labour.

"Doctor Motsepe will come by later and that will be determined once she's certain you and the baby are fit and healthy."

"Okay, thank you."

With the nurse gone it was just the two of them in the suite, Kgomotso wasn't sure of Celiwe and ausi Daphne's whereabouts but their absence was probably best because she didn't want to share the baby with anybody else. She would've loved for her father to come but he was adamant that culture wise a new born baby should be seen after three months, and nothing she said changed his mind.

"He's beautiful," said Anesu, looking as tired as she felt yet she was the one who did all the work.

"And big." She chuckled in disbelief, looking at the size of his calf. She wasn't too worried about his nose because it would look better in 3 months anyway. He was Anesu's child through and through because she couldn't point to one thing that resembled her features, pregnancy was a scam indeed. They equally contributed in the making of this baby because his sperm would be useless without her egg therefore that needed to show.

"How are you feeling?"

He wasn't going to forget what he witnessed anytime soon especially seeing Kgomotso in that much pain and not being able to help her in anyway. It was a difficult position to be in as a man because he always wanted to keep her safe.

"I'm tired and sore and in need of a shower."

"I will forever be in your debt, Kgomotso," he said, blinking back tears. "My life is complete now that I have you and our precious boy. I admire your strength because that wasn't easy to watch, so I can only imagine what it was like for you. Thank you."

He better recognize because that was not child's play so it was deserving of a push present.

She got emotional, thinking about how scared she was in those last few moments. "I wouldn't have gotten through it without you by my side."

Sometimes words weren't enough to express the love she had for this man, there was nothing she wouldn't do for him except let him take another wife if he ever got possessed with the spirit of polygamy.

"You can always count on me, baby."

And there was no doubt about that because he never failed to show up for her.

"Would you like to hold him once he's done?" she asked, changing him to her other breast, they will be sagging by the time he was old enough to stop breastfeeding.