33

It was a quiet morning and Lwazi was still deep under the covers because he woke up some time after midnight once Khanya started crying and came back to bed an hour later. She always struggled to get her 8 hours of beauty sleep in an unfamiliar place and last night was no different. It was made worse by thinking that Kamo’s ghost might creep out from under the bed and get her, which was absurd because ghosts didn’t exist.

She got out of bed and drew back the curtains, letting the abundant light touch the room and she didn’t bother to cover her nakedness.

“Come back to bed.”

Her lips stretched into a thin smile as she turned to face him. “I’d love to but I have to go.”

“What’s the rush?” He yawned, propping his head up.

“I have to get a morning after pill.”

That got him out of bed and pacing like a madman. “I thought that you were already on the pill.”

“And why would you think that instead of just asking me?”

“Because you didn’t tell me to use protection.”

A chuckle burst from her lips and did little to mask her annoyance. “You’re the one with a penis so you should’ve thought to wrap it up.”

“Eish.” He got a cigarette and lighter and sat on the edge of his bed. “I’m not ready for another child.”

“That’s not going to happen and I’ll make sure of it.” She walked away from the window.

“Where are you going?”

“To take a shower or do I need your permission first?”

“Of course not.”

“Great!” She threw her hands up, drawing his gaze to her breasts and her taut nipples were tempting like candy.

“I’ll take you to the pharmacy when you’re done.”

“Hai, don't bother. I’ll request a ride.”

“Wait.” He reached for her wrist but Masika dodged him.

“What do you want, Lwazi?”

He smiled, pulling the cigarette from his mouth. “Can I wash your back?”

“Mxm.” Masika slammed the bathroom door in his face.

Lwazi was gone and the bed was made when she stepped out of the bathroom, some time alone with the removable shower head helped calm her down. Masika walked past her shopping bags and went into his closet in search of something to wear, it wasn’t as big as Kamo’s but he kept clean with no sight of smelly socks on the floor. She chose a Nike T-shirt and tracksuit the pants were big and unflattering but the drawstring kept them in place, and also used his cologne so the T-shirt would carry his scent.

Masika was tying her braids when he walked in, holding a tray and she rolled her eyes, ignoring him.

“I made you an omelette and coffee,” he said, placing the tray on the bed.

“I’m not hungry.”

“Are you sure?” he asked at the sound of her stomach grumbling.

Eish! Not her body working against her.

“Well, I don’t drink coffee.” She rebutted to save face.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and his chin came to rest on her shoulder. “I’m sorry if it seemed like I was laying the blame on you because we’re both responsible in ensuring that we’re safe at all times.”

“Which is why we need to get tested.”

“Tested?” He frowned.

“Yes. I don’t know what you were doing and how many people you were doing it with before I came along.”

Even though he always played it safe during his escapades at the strip club, doubt still unfurled at the back of his mind because he couldn’t be sure that a condom didn’t tear without him knowing.

A million thoughts raced through his mind and not even one of them put him at ease but it was better to know even though he was nervous about the whole thing.

“Okay, it’s fine. I don’t mind getting tested.”

“Good. I think we should do it after the weekend.”

“Kulungile.” He managed a small smile to mask his fear.

She turned around and kissed him. “Thank you for the omelette.”

“You’re welcome.”

The omelette looked safe enough to eat but she knew that looks could be deceiving. She handed him the cup of coffee before lifting up the fork.

“By the way, I’m keeping the T-shirt.”
                                    ************