9

Lwazi had to let MaNkosi go because he couldn't have his every move reported to his aunt like he was a prisoner in his own house. Taking care of Khanya without the extra help was tough but it also gave him a reason to get out of bed every morning. It didn't feel right asking Kgomotso and Anesu for help because they were dealing with a new born and he didn't know any good nanny agencies. With Nolitha gone he no longer walked on eggshells around the house, but even that didn't bring him peace because his spirit was not at ease.

Feeding time was a hassle because Khanya was a picky eater and if it wasn't sweet it didn't tickle her taste buds, sometimes mixing the different flavours helped because she got the best of both worlds and he was left with little cleaning to do afterwards.

He managed to put her down for a nap and have a moment outside for a smoke break, being solely responsible for Khanya was so exhausting that he couldn't steal an hour to get a haircut. Kamo would've found something to say about his beard by now and the thought made him smile against his better judgement.

His moment of solitude didn't last because security called about a guest. He wasn't prepared for guests, toys were scattered all over the living room and he still needed to shower.

He was already waiting by the door when his father's car drove in but his PA stepped out of the backseat instead, flaunting her legs in a mini skirt.

"Your father sent me because you weren't taking his calls."

"I've been busy."

"This will kill you one day." She snatched the cigarette from him and threw it away.

"What does my father want? I know you didn't come all this way to check on my well-being."

She walked past him and into the house. "Looks like I came at a bad time," she said, looking at the mess.

"Like I said, I've been busy."

"Not busy enough to make a statement on your father's behalf, I hope. The plan is to show him as a devoted family man and move the narrative way from the current headlines. He would've asked you himself but his doctor said he needs to rest."

"What's wrong with him? Is he sick?" He leaned against the counter, thrusting his hands in his pockets.

"Officially? No."

He should've known better than to think his father would abide by the rules.

She took out an A4 sized envelope from her bag. "This is the statement, you need to get prepared because it's important for you not to deviate from the speech and say something that might not be in your father's favour. The press conference will be tomorrow and I expect you to look like a decent human being."

He made no move to take the envelope. "But I didn't agree to do it."

"He's your father, what do you think will happen to him if he goes to prison?"

They both knew Senzo would never see the inside of a prison cell because he knew too much about his fellow comrades to drag them down with him.

"I have to take this, it's my sister-in-law." He stepped outside and answered his phone.

"Sawubona, Kgomotso."

It was hard for him to put his feelings aside and keep communicating with her for Khanya's sake.

"Did you get a DNA test done because your aunt seems certain that Khanya isn't your child?"

Yho! She was fuming and he was glad to be on the other side of the phone and not in the firing line, because she was aiming for his head.