18

Her father was tending to his chickens when Kgomotso arrived, he was and early riser and that didn’t change after retirement. While he was still a principal at Lekoa Shandu Secondary School they’d leave an hour before school started so Kgomotso would write down the late comers, as if being the principal’s daughter wasn’t hard enough. None of the boys were brave enough to ask her out and the girls who befriended her, only did so because she let them copy her accounting homework.

The new sliding gate was already installed and the upgrade was going to look so much better with the new garage door, but the outdated kitchen unit belonged in a scrap yard and not next to the outside toilet where it was dumped.

Preparations for her membeso have been stressful but excitement was starting to catch up with her despite her opportunistic uncles slithering out of the woodwork to disrupt her peace, proving that the devil works overtime to incite disruption.

Her father called out to ausi Daphne as he came to open the gate for her. His head was now fully covered with grey hair, which he didn’t bother cutting but he was still fit and carried himself with his head held high because he was still regarded as Meneer Modise .

“What is it Jerry?”

She stepped out the side door, wiping her hands on the flour coated apron. Since the kitchen wasn’t done they turned the garage into a temporary one, it wasn’t ideal because she had to use a 2 plate gas stove during load shedding. A frown lined her lips because they had yet another disagreement about him spending more time with his chickens than her, she had no idea what was supposed to be a hobby would take over his life. He rarely joined her for a cup of tea in the morning because he spent that time cleaning the coop or doing something else to improve it, to stop some of them from getting out.  

“Manana is here.”

“Ka nnete?”

Jerry knew all was forgiven when a smile graced her face, they’ve managed to stay married for more than a decade because they didn’t stay mad at each other for long after a disagreement, and if she continued with the silent treatment Kgomotso would know they’d been fighting. They still didn’t want her to see that side of their relationship even in her big age and now a mother. But he also knew he had to do better in order to stay married because her concerns were valid and prioritizing her happiness will save him a lot of trouble.   

Kgomotso was relieved they didn’t give her a hard time for coming to this meeting without informing them, she knew her father would’ve talked her out of it just to keep her away from Caroline’s venomous family. It was Jerry’s first time meeting Rorisang and his elation overshadowed Kgomotso’s swelling thoughts as she gently placed the swaddled baby in his arms and watching the tender interaction allowed her a moment to forget the real reason she came home.

They didn’t go in through the kitchen because ausi Daphne wanted the big reveal to take Kgomotso by surprise, considering her well-meant eagerness when she spoke about the colour of the new cabinets. She didn’t mind the anticipation as long as everything was done before the deadline. 

“He’s bigger than he looks in the pictures you’ve sent,” he said, adjusting Rorisang in his arms.

Ausi Daphne nodded, looking at Kgomotso. “Yes, he’s growing like a weed.”

Oh, they finally remembered she was in the room with them after they left her to carry the bags in by herself because they were caught up in-the-new-baby-spell; she might as well have been invisible.

Rorisang was up from his nap and staring hard at his grandfather’s unfamiliar face as if he wanted it etched into his memories.

“I wish there was a pause button because it feels like time is moving so fast and I’m afraid I’ll miss something if I stop and blink.”

“And soon you’ll be going back to work. I hope you’ve started looking for a nanny,” said ausi Daphne.     

“I don’t have to worry about that for now because I’ve extended my leave.”

“For how long?”

“A couple of months.”

“So, you’re basically going to be a stay-at-home mom.”

She was officially in the hot seat and her father’s silence didn’t make her feel better about that.

“Yes and fortunately being a partner will give me the chance to do so.”

“Is he making you take time off from work?”

“No, papa, it’s my decision and Anesu has nothing to do with it.”

“I find that hard to believe.”

“What’s the problem, papa? I thought you were happy, Anesu and I are getting married.”

Kgomotso failed to keep her composure and her voice escalated, as she tried to keep her tears at bay.

“Of course we’re happy for you, Manana, but as your father I can’t say I’m happy to watch you throw your career away. I don’t want you to end up with nothing to your name because you solely depended on him for everything.”

“Anesu is not Caroline, papa, he won’t leave me like she left you.”

“Askies?” He peered at her through half closed eyes.

“Manana, take the baby and go change his diaper.”

Ausi Daphne was not to be argued with and Kgomotso didn’t want to be on her bad side, she took her baby and escaped to the safety of her bedroom.

There was a message from Anesu, he might not have said anything about Jessica’s arrest but he’s sure been acting weird since. He changed the channel when Kgomotso walked in on him watching the news for an update, Jessica was denied bail on a legal technicality an outcome which was disputed by her many fans and experts alike. She was starting to believe Anesu was somehow involved because he was acting like someone who had something to hide.   

Speaking of the devil, his name appeared on her screen just when she was about to call him. Talking to Anesu will probably calm her down because it didn’t seem like ausi Daphne was on her side with this one.

“Hi, babe,” Kgomotso answered.

She had to check her screen to see if he was still on the line because it was crickets from his side.

“Anesu?” She tried again when she heard a woman’s voice in the background and her mind started racing with every worst case scenario she could imagine.

“Anesu, what’s going on?” She hated that her voice was shaking.

There was still no reply but Kgomotso could hear him talking to this woman and she couldn’t bring herself to hang up because she needed to get to the bottom of whatever was going on.

“Why did you do it, Ma?”

Her shoulders sagged with relief, knowing that the mystery woman was his mother but she still didn’t hang up even though this would be considered an invasion of his privacy because Anesu wasn’t aware that he dialled her number.

“Someone had to deal with Jessica because I knew you wouldn’t.”

“And how is framing her going to help me?” Anger was palpable in his tone.

“Haibo, Anesu, I didn’t frame her. I just made sure that the police knew she was carrying drugs.”

“What about her being denied bail did you have something to do with that too?”

“I’d rather not answer that question.”

“Kodwa, Ma! I didn’t ask for this.” He groaned out in frustration.

Kgomotso was beyond shocked and she honestly felt uneasy because Celiwe could do the same to her.

His sigh was followed by a brief silence. “You’re right, I wasn’t going to do or say anything to Jessica for sleeping with Lwazi because that kind of drama will ruin my relationship with Kgomotso, but you’ve literally dragged it to my doorstep with what you did. Jessica won’t sit by and do nothing when she finds out you set her up, she will come for me and you know that

“I will fix this and make sure that never happens, I promise.”

The line suddenly went dead, he must have hung up because she didn’t. It was hard to resist the urge to call him back and find out what he meant by saying: ‘Jessica will come for him.’ Kgomotso was worried because hell had no fury like a woman scorned and Jessica was losing endorsement deals left, right and centre.  

It didn’t take long for ausi Daphne to come knocking and telling her wasn’t an option because Kgomotso didn’t want to end up on Celiwe’s hit list.

She let herself in and sat on the bed. “Are you all right?” She stared closely at Kgomotso.

“Ja, I’m fine.” Kgomotso got a clean diaper out and undressed Rorisang.

“Your father is just worried, that’s all.”

“I know but he needs to stop acting like I’m not capable of making my own decisions. I don’t mean to be disrespectful but I’m grown so I don’t need him telling me what to do with my life.”

“I understand and I’ll be sure to talk to him about it.” 

Kgomotso finished changing the diaper and sat down, holding Rorisang in her arms. “I apologise if it feels like I’m putting you in an awkward position.”

“You don’t have to apologise for making the best decision for your baby, I knew there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you since the day I came into your life.”

A resigned smile traced Kgomotso’s lips. “I found out that Anesu hired a PI to track down Caroline and I thought knowing her whereabouts would somehow change my mind about sending her an invitation, but I realised I don’t need her there.”

“Are you sure because I don’t want her to feel left out on your special day?”

She laughed, remembering how Caroline wanted the VIP treatment at Kamo’s wedding.

“Yes, I am. She might end up making it about herself and you’re more deserving of the spotlight.”

“I’m proud of you and I know you’re going to be an amazing mother.”

“Thank you.” Tears glistened in her eyes.

Her uncles finally arrived a few hours later in a beat up Citi Golf that announced their arrival before they made it inside. One was tall with a gold tooth and the other one wore blue overalls and a Z.C.C badge, Kgomotso didn’t recognise them except the aunt from Rockville who was now a widow judging by her all black attire.

Ausi Daphne was gracious enough to make tea and scones before she disappeared back into the bedroom to keep an eye on Rorisang, because Kgomotso wasn’t feeling so hospitable.  

“Hawu, Kgomotso, I didn’t know you’d be joining us.” The aunt was the first one to speak.

“Is that going to be a problem?” asked her father, he couldn’t even pretend to be happy about this.

“No, Bra Jerry, it won’t be a problem at all.” Mr Gold Tooth took off his hat. “I’m not sure if you remember me, mochana, but I’m your uncle, Michael. And this is our eldest brother Thomas.”

With the introductions out of the way, Thomas saw it fit to pour himself a cup of tea and helped himself to some scones. He seemed decent unlike these two but she could be wrong about that because he was related to Caroline after all.

“I don’t know you.” She wasn’t here to play nice.

“You were still a baby the last time I saw you, but it’s good to see you’ve done well for yourself at such a young age.”

The aunt shot him a lethal glare meant to silence him because the plan was for her to do all the talking since this meeting was her idea.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea for Kgomotso to be present for this meeting because she’s a child and knows nothing about culture,” said the aunt.

“Margaret, this is my house and Kgomotso’s home so she’s not going anywhere, if we can’t talk with her here then you can gladly leave.”

“There’s no need to raise your blood pressure, Bra Jerry, we’re here to get what is rightfully ours because we should’ve been informed the day you got the letter.”

“Why are you still talking, Michael?” she asked, angrily.

“Stop beating around the bush and tell them straight we’re here for the money.”

“You should listen to your sister, Michael and stop talking because you’re not getting a cent of that money.”

Kgomotso didn’t know that Johannes was also coming to this meeting and it looked like her father wasn’t expecting him either.

“You never bothered to help my brother in any way while Caroline was chasing after doctors as a cleaner, my brother and his wife did all the work raising this beautiful and educated woman you see before you today, and you have the nerve to come here thinking you deserve to get money. Do you even know how much university fees cost?”

“I’m sure we can resolve this as a family because Caroline is still Kgomotso’s mother regardless of what happened in the past.”

“Family ya so mang. Hey, Madala!” He snapped his fingers. “Finish your tea and voestek out of my brother’s house, this meeting is over.”