Ch 24: Embracing the pain

Sitting in his living area, she was shivering, half because of the cold and half because of all that happened a few moments ago. Kaali brought hot water and a towel to her. She took it from him with her shivering hands, blowing softly on the mug from which she was sipping water.

He was shocked to see her in this state. Why are all these things repeating after a decade? Enduring pain for such a long time wasn't enough. "How come you are here?" He was hesitant to ask her, but then he did.

Standing in a blue t-shirt and sweatpants, he was looking equally cute; his look reminded her of 10 years ago. "Meera," he called her again, seeing her dazed, making the cup almost slip from her hands.

He came in a moment, letting their fingers become entangled and their skin brush with each other. It did bring up some weird emotions. Meera abruptly looked at him; his face was too close for her to breathe, yet she noticed how fine lines had covered his eyes. Beard does look good to him; she wondered if they ever discussed that. But the most important part was his odor. He still smells sexy.

But soon all her thoughts were shrugged off, and she drew her hands back. She had determined for herself that they had come too far to be together. She stood to walk away when she tripped; yet again, but her savior was already there to save her.

"Are you alright?" He was panting a little, some because of their proximity and some because she was in such a situation.

She nodded her head while he made her stand. "I'll just give you something to dry yourself."

He felt a sudden pull towards her; her drenched state was not working well for him. He made an excuse and moved towards his room to bring some clothes for her. She saw his retreating figure, trying to understand why her heart had started beating again after so many years. If it died, then it should remain dead.

Drying herself in the washroom, she looked at herself; her reflection said someone else was standing in front of her. After knowing Kaali was not responsible for all the accusations she made against him, she felt guilty; she felt so wrong. All these years, she has been blaming him for false acquisitions.

She came out drying her hair, not realizing a pair of eyes were mesmerized seeing her in his attire. She turned immediately, feeling a presence behind her, only to see a shocked Kaali standing there. "I just came. You need something. Coffee is boiling. I will," he said as he rushed again.

"Cute," she murmured, and she smiled to herself. But then she corrected herself. She looked at herself in the mirror, and a memory flashed in front of hers. Those were the beautiful memories when they shared such cute moments. She was lost in her thoughts when she felt a pair of hands encircling her waist. His breath was touching the back of her neck, and she immediately opened her eyes to see a reflection in the mirror. "Kaali," she whispered, and she felt the grip around her waist tighten.

"At least you remember my name clearly," he said, brushing his nose near her nape and making her grasp. "What... ", she couldn't utter more; his closeness was acting like a drug to him; the way he was sniffing his hair makes her go jiddy. "You still have feelings for me," she asked with eyes glitening with tears.

"I have never stopped loving you," he said, kissing her earlobe and making her moan. He loved her. That sounds so satisfying to her heart. She wanted to hear it again.

"Say it again," she whispered, placing her palms on his hands, which were stiffly holding her waist. "I," he kissed her shoulder blade. "Love," he said, kissing her earlobe again. Meera's heart was thumping so loudly that it could jump out of her body; her trance was broken when she heard someone calling her.

"Meera..."

That sound made it dawn on her; she had been dreaming all along. She looked at her, her cheeks red and flushed, and she quickly controlled her raging emotions. Kaali was setting up the table when he saw her coming towards him with baby steps. The light was dim, giving him a perfect glance to engrave her beauty in his heart. Indeed, she looks breathtaking in his clothes. His heart wishes for the old days to come back. Can he try??? but his mind said it was too late for them to be back.