Part 1

All rights reserved

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, scanning, or otherwise, without written permission from the publisher. It is illegal to copy this book, post it to a website, or distribute it by any other means without permission.

This novel is entirely a work of fiction. The names, characters, and incidents portrayed in it are the work of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or localities is entirely coincidental.

Aʟʙᴀ Poulzen asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

Text Copyright © Alba Poulzen 2023
Cover design ©️ Alba Poulzen 2024

I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer a few questions after you read.

- What did you think of the story as a whole?

- How did the characters develop throughout the story?

- At what point did you feel that "Ah, now the story has really begun!"

- Were there any parts you found skimming?

- What was your favorite part of the story and why?

- What was the most exciting moment in the book?

- Who was your favorite character, and why?

- Were there any moments you wish were longer?

- What is the theme/message you took away from the story?

I wrote this book in early January -23

The grammar is awful, but the book will be edited.

The phone alarm went off, and tired as I was, I tried to turn it off

The phone alarm went off, and tired as I was, I tried to turn it off. I accidentally overslept by twenty minutes and threw myself out of bed. I grabbed my white tank top and blue boyfriend jeans and rushed into the bathroom. My long red hair seemed to miss the hairbrush, but I didn't have the time. I put my hair in a high ponytail, brushed my teeth, and splashed water on my face.

Like every morning, I stopped by the coffee shop to buy myself a caramel latte with extra whipped cream. The line was longer than usual, and I noticed an irritation on people's faces as the girls behind the counter hustled around.

'Finally, my turn.'

I ordered my caramel latte with extra whipped cream and looked at the clock on the wall.

8:43 A.M.

I have to make it to class on time, I thought, glancing over the counter to see if my coffee was ready. The girl placed my coffee on the counter and said, "23 kronor!"

I moistened my lips and looked at the Swedish money I had on me. "How much did you say?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes at me. "23 kronor."

I nodded and gave her the money. Luckily, most Swedes knew English and always asked where I was from because of my accent. Many Swedes guessed Texas, which I found amusing as I was from Australia.

I grabbed my coffee and made a hasty turn to leave, but I accidentally bumped into a guy. I saw how my coffee stained his white t-shirt and gasped as I stepped back.

"I'm so, so sorry. Let me get you napkins," I said with a trembling voice. I grabbed some napkins from the counter and hurried back to him. I hadn't even dared look at his face yet, but I kept my eyes on the stain I had caused.

"Vilken tur att jag inte bar min favorit t-shirt idag."

I heard him say something in Swedish and met his gaze for the first time.

'Oh wow!'

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked, feeling my cheeks blush.

"Don't you speak Swedish?" he asked with the most irresistible smile and cute accent. I shook my head. "No, I moved here three months ago from Australia," I said, smiling softly back at him.

"Well, I said, lucky I wasn't wearing my favorite t-shirt today," he said in a deep voice and kept smiling at me.

'What was I doing? I didn't have the time to stand here and look at this perfect creature before me.'

"I'm so sorry if I ruined your t-shirt, but I have to go," I said, handing him the napkins.

I rushed out of the coffee shop and continued towards the theater. I glanced down at my coffee without cream, as the cream ended up on his t-shirt. I discovered I also got coffee on my white tank top.

"Shit!" I exclaimed loudly, even more embarrassed that I didn't notice it sooner. Now I would have to walk all day with this stain and had nothing I could hide it with.

I arrived at the theater and found my way through the building to the theater room. Quietly, I snuck among the chairs and sat down. It seemed to be a large group, so hopefully, I could blend in well. More people seemed to be entering the room, and that's when I saw him, the same guy from the coffee shop earlier. He also caught sight of me, and a smirk appeared on his lips as he walked in my direction. I sank into the chair and pretended I hadn't seen him, but I couldn't control myself not to glance up at him again.

God, how hot he was. Many Swedes were tall, handsome, and muscular, but he had those irresistible eyes and a smile that gave a girl goosebumps. He took the chair behind me, and I heard him whisper next to my ear. "Do you want my picture? It lasts longer."

His breath against my neck made me shiver, and my cheeks blushed at his comment. I lifted the corner of my mouth in a discreet smile and looked over my shoulder at him.

He crossed his arms on my backrest and smiled playfully at me. "I'm William Larsson."

I could smell the mint from his gum and tried to tear my gaze from his mouth. "I'm Billie Demos," I said tremblingly, looking into his eyes. He nodded at me with that playful smile while his eyes scanned my appearance.

He leaned back on his chair, and I turned my gaze forward. I could feel his gaze on my neck as I sipped the coffee. Three girls sat before me, talking, but I had no idea what they were saying to each other. Perhaps this would be more difficult than I had imagined.

I saw a blonde girl entering, and she looked in my direction. She waved as if she knew me and came walking with quick steps. I waved back confusedly and saw that she suddenly frowned at me. She passed my row of seats, and I saw her sit behind me next to William. Another embarrassing moment, of course, it was him she waved to.

I could hear them talking to each other, but I didn't know if they were talking or arguing, as the Swedish language sounded so sharp. So much to blend in, I thought, rolling my eyes at my clumsiness and stupidity.

 So much to blend in, I thought, rolling my eyes at my clumsiness and stupidity