Part 27

I stood by the mirror and looked at myself or should I say studying my stomach, which was as flat as before

I stood by the mirror and looked at myself or should I say studying my stomach, which was as flat as before. I don't know why I bought a pregnancy test yesterday. I guess I wanted to be sure if my suspicions were true and they were. William and I are expecting a baby together and although it hurts to leave him, I find it comforting that I still will take a part of him with me.

"Are you ready to go?" asked William, hugging me from behind. "Give me five more minutes," I replied as I didn't want to go quite yet. "I'm going to miss holding you in my arms like this," he said while kissing my neck.

Every time I look in the mirror, I will see him as an image behind me. I try to hold back tears so as not to ruin the makeup, but instead, I get to lump in my throat of sadness. I study his messy hair, the wrinkles in the corner of his eyes when he smiles, and the way his eyes look at me.

"Can't we just stay here? Pretend like I happened to miss the plane and we'll have a few more days together," I sighed and leaned my head back against his shoulder. "I would have loved that, but I've promised Dennis to get you on this plane."

There was no reason to argue with him about it, I would never win the argument anyway and besides, I didn't have the money to buy a new ticket. I checked to make sure I had packed everything in my suitcase one more time before we left the apartment. William would take the key and give it to Dennis later as he knew the owner, so I didn't have to think about that.

In the cab, I leaned my head against William's shoulder and held his hand tightly to Arlanda Airport. It had started to rain, which made it suddenly feel even more depressing. Once at the airport, we sat on the chairs and waited until it was time for me to walk over to my gate.

"Do you promise to call me when you arrive?" Now I couldn't hold back the tears any longer and William wrapped his arm around me. "It's going to be okay Billie. I promise I'll try to come to you in half a year."

Six months was an eternity and many days to just long after him. "I don't want to go. I've changed my mind. Please don't force me to get on that plane William," I cried against his shoulder, feeling how much it hurt inside me.

"I love you so much. . . Don't think I'll leave you, because you're my everything."

He stroked my back and kissed my cheek over and over again. "I'm breaking into pieces William. It hurts . . . It hurts," I cried loudly and laid my head against his chest. I know people watch us when they pass, but I don't care. My makeup is ruined and most of it is on Williams' sweater.

"What do you want me to do? If I had the money, I would have gone with you, but I don't have any. Seeing you like this makes me feel powerless because I can't do anything." I could hear in his voice that he was sad too, but he tried to hide it from me. Probably he didn't want to show me that he was suffering as much as I did, which would be so typical of him to hide.

"It's time," he said in a muffled voice. Once again, I tried to gather myself, but tears kept falling. Together we walked towards my gate, and I took out my plane ticket from my purse.

He cupped my face with his warm hands and kissed me tenderly. "I promise, I will see you soon, and until then . . . wear this." He took off his silver bracelet and put it on my wrist. "Until we meet again."

"I love you," I said, hugging him tightly, breathing in the scent of his perfume one last time. "And I love you."

Slowly I walk away from him, and our hands lose their grip on each other. I show my ticket and passport, before continuing forward with the other travelers. Tears kept falling down my cheeks and I saw people looking at me, but I couldn't care less.

I took my seat on the plane by the window and looked towards the large windows of the building where I could catch sight of William. I don't know if he could see me, but I put my hand against the window, wishing he could feel me touching him. I see him put his hand to the window and I laugh briefly as I hope he has caught sight of me.

Suddenly I catch sight of Dennis and Alva appearing next to him. What are they doing here? Dennis said he would be busy with something important and therefore couldn't get to the airport. I try to wave at him, but I don't think he sees me and it's too late to get off the plane now to say goodbye.

Alva hugged William and I could see him hug her back, while Dennis looked at them. Despite what William had told me, I was afraid this was the end of our relationship and the beginning of his and Alva's again. What I would have left of him were memories and a part of him growing inside me, the rest would just be another love story.

'Stop believing the worst all the time. Have some trust in him.'

Alva gave him a quick kiss, which made my heart break. It was as if I didn't exist anymore, as if I disappeared from the picture when I stepped on this plane.

 It was as if I didn't exist anymore, as if I disappeared from the picture when I stepped on this plane