Panic

Arnav was sure he had heard Khushi snivel, and was momentarily confused with the silence that followed, did the call get cut off? He took his phone out of his pocket, the call was still connected, and he had been right, it was Khushi on the other end.. why was she silent?

"Khushi... talk to me" the sobs that followed his words were no longer muffled, sending Arnav into a frenzied panic, "Khushi, why are you crying? Tumhe kuch hogaya hai kya???" (Did something happen to you?) Arnav tried to keep his tone as calm as possible but all he heard were sobs on the other end, which agitated Arnav more "Dammit Khushi! talk to me, hua kya hai? Kuch pareshani hai kya?? Tumhari babuji teek hai na? tum aisi ro kyun rahi ho?" (What happened? Is there a problem?? Your dad is fine right?? Why are you crying like this?)

He abruptly stopped his tirade of questions as his mind registered the background sounds. It was traffic... and not the sort that was usually near her house... This was heavy city traffic... An unknown fear gripped his heart... She was not home! This late in the evening... Where was she??? He took in a few quick breaths to calm himself down and in his no nonsense ASR tone, which usually intimidated everyone, he asked "Khushi, Kahan ho tum?" (Where are you?) making her hiccup. Arnav would have chuckled if the situation hadn't been so grave.

He patiently waited for her to answer and finally after a few seconds she spoke up "Sta.. Station pe" (At the Station) He felt a little relieved on finally hearing her voice, but the relief disappeared just as quickly as it came "Station pe??? Kyun??? Woh chodo... yeh bata.. Kaunsi Station?" (Station? Why?? Leave that, tell me which Station?) he listened carefully as the answer came out broken in between her sobs, Arnav picked up his keys and ran out the door while he shouted "Wahin pe ruko, Mein aaraha hun" (Stay right there, I'm on my way) into the phone before hanging up.

He got into his SUV and drove as fast as it was possible. She was at the train station... Surely the Gupta family weren't taking an impromptu trip out of town, there were still a few post wedding rituals left to take place... which means Khushi is leaving on her own... But why?? He banged his palms against the steering wheel "This girl will be the death of me!" He said out loud.

He honked his way through the Delhi traffic and reached the station in record time. After parking his SUV haphazardly, He walked through, carefully scanning the crowd for Khushi, and with each passing minute, dread setting in.. Did she really leave?? He felt his heart constrict at that thought.. He had to force himself to breath, and he looked around again.

He caught a glimpse of a familiar green salwar suit, and he sprinted that way. He stopped just short of knocking the person over, "Khushi" he voice came out strangled, and she turned towards him. He breathed in some necessary oxygen while his eyes took in her form, she looked worn-out, streaks of dried up tears ran down her cheeks, her eyes were red and her whole face was puffed up. Arnav swallowed his tears and stepped closer, sliding his right arm around her waist, he pulled her up into a hug, Khushi let out a squeal of surprise when Arnav's actions lifted her off the ground, and put her hands on his shoulders to keep steady.

"Don't you dare do this to me, ever again!" he whispered into her hair as his left hand came around her and he held her closer like his life depended on it. All Khushi could do, at that moment, was nod her head. His words triggered a memory for her - The day she found out about Shyam and had rushed, unceremoniously, out of Shantivan. Arnav had called her multiple times that day, which she had not answered, finally when she did answer, he had shouted out almost these exact words. He had been worried for her that day, just like he is worried for her today. If only she had gathered the courage to open up to him that day.. Her hands circled around his neck and she held on tight letting her tears flow.

Moments later, Arnav unwillingly lowered Khushi to the ground and slowly let go of her. He downright ignored the scandalous looks thrown their way by passers-by, while Khushi pushed her hair behind her ear, not looking up. He took a step back and crossed his arms to stop himself from doing anything to embarrass her more, he took a breath calming himself down... she was in front of him, safe and sound "Kahan jaa rahi thi?" (Where were you going?) he asked softly, "Pata nahi" (I don't know) she whispered back

He rocked on his heels as he pondered over his thoughts... she was running away... He can't let that happen... First of all he wouldn't be able to survive without her, He needed her like his lungs needed oxygen! and second, Khushi needed him just as much. He was no one's fool, he knew Khushi could have easily left without informing him, but she had given him a call.. and obeyed him when he asked her to stay put.

What ever the issue is, they will deal with it.. together, right now he needed to get her back home.. on second thoughts... Taking a prompt decision he took her hand in his and said "Let's go!" He was about to take a step forward, but Khushi stood rooted to her spot "Nahi Arnav Ji.. Hum wapis nai jaa sakte.." (No ArnavJi.. I can't go back) she said softly and half heartedly tried to get her hand out of his hold.

Arnav took a deep breath and bent his head to her ear level "listen Khushi, abhi chup chaap mere saat chal, warna tumhe utaake bhi le jaa sakta hun" (Listen Khushi, quietly come with me now, or I could even carry you away) His tone held a warning that made Khushi gulp as she turned towards him. He raised his eyebrow in challenge and she gasped out loud and shook her head in response "Hu.. Hum aate hai" (I.. I will come). Arnav nodded curtly "Good, now give me your bags" Khushi had started to shake her head  when he fixed her with a look and she wordlessly handed over the duffle bag and her shoulder bag. He heard her muttering "Laad Governer" under her breath as she did so, Arnav turned away to hide his smile, shaking his head silently he lead the way.

He walked to the SUV, his hand firmly holding on to hers, she followed him without any protest, he let go of her hand only once they reached the passenger side of the vehicle. He opened the door for her and waited till she was seated before placing the bags on the back seat and jogging to the drivers side. He didn't speak till he had pulled the car out of the parking lot and into the main road. He drummed this thumbs against his steering wheel before asking "Kitni baje nikli thi ghar se?" (What time did you leave home?) She twisted the end of the shawl around her finger for a few seconds before answering "Shayad ek ya ded ghante pehle" (Maybe one or One and half hours back) and "What the??" Arnav looked at her sharply before turning his attentoin back to the road... "tho itni der kyun lagayi phone karne mei?" (Why did you take so long to call?) Khushi kept fidgeting with her shawl but said nothing. Arnav just shook his head and drove in silence, he would soon get his answers.

Payal sat in the hall along with the rest of the Raizadas and Shyam, they had just seen off the guests who had come for the Muh Dikhai and now Manorama was getting ready to open all the gifts that Payal had received. Devayani had tried to stop Manorama, but Payal said that she didn't mind, so here they were, with all the gifts laid out on the centre table and Manorama waggling her fingers above the gifts trying to decide on which one she would open first.

Payal's phone rang and she answered with a smile "Namaste Buaji, kaisi hai aap?" (Namaste Buaji, how are you? ) her smile soon disappeared when she heard her Buaji cry out "Payaliaa", Payal tensed up "Kya hua Buaji, aap ro kyun rahi hai?" (What happened Buaji, why are you crying?) she asked panicking, this got everyone's attention. "Khushi..." Madhumati couldn't complete her sentence as she broke down into heavy sobs, Payal shot out of the sofa "Kya hua Khushi ko?" (What happened to Khushi?) sending shockwaves through everyone present.