Realisations

Khushi stood on the stoop for as long as she could see Arnav's vehicle... after Nainital, this was the first time she had spent so much time with Arnav. Usually this much time together means, Arnav getting angry at her for something that she says or does.. but today.. there was nothing but warmth.. how the tides have changed! she smiled to herself and looked up at the sky, the stars twinkled bright.

She walked into the house, Garima was preparing the table for dinner, while Madhumati still sat on her seat. "Khusi" Madhumati called out to her "Ji Buaji?" (Yes Buaji?) Khushi's voice was chirpy, but Madhumati didn't let that deter her, she had her eyes trained on the floor. "Aisi kaunsi aafat aayi tereko ke tune aisa faisla liya?" (What sort of dilemma where you in that you took such a decision?) Madhumati's tone worried Garima, she instinctively went closer to Khushi, to protect her in case Madhumati decided to hit Khushi again. The smile and calm that Arnav left her with was snatched away from Khushi with Madhumati's question, Her shoulder slumped as every ounce of happiness left her body.

"Jiji.. ee sab hum baad mei baat kar sakte hai na.. pehle hum sab khana khalenge" (Jiji.. we can talk about all this later right.. lets have our food first) Garima said placatingly "Nai Garima.. hume jaan na hai.." (No Garima, I want to know) and then she looked directly at Khushi "Bolo?" (Go on?)  Khushi looked towards her father, the only person with whom she had shared everything, He blinked his eyes in understanding, Khushi realised it is better to explain herself to her aunt now itself, than having this topic be brought up again and again. 

"Shyamji humaare saat badtameezi se pesh aare hai" (Shyamji was misbehaving with me) she said softly and heard her mother gasp, Madhumati was too shocked for any reaction. Khushi couldn't bring herself to look at the two women. "Ka kehri ho khusi? Kab?" (What are you saying Khusi? When?) Garima asked, and tears started brimming in Khushi's eyes "Ek baar hua tho bata sakti hun ke kab hua... Jab se humne mangni thodi hai, kai baar hua hai" (If it happened once, I could tell you 'when', it happened many times since I broke off the engagement) Khushi's frustration was evident in her voice. "lekin hum chup rahe.. taake aap log pareshaan na hojaye" (But I stayed quiet, so that you all don't get worried) Khushi's voice lowered as she realised how stupid that had been, and Madhumati's eyes teared up, "Lekin kal... kal wahan chath par woh zabarzasti se hume gale lagaya" (But yesterday.. yesterday on the terrace, he forcefully hugged me) she rubbed down her arms in disgust, Garima and Madhumati saw red. "Aur kehne laga ke woh humse bohot pyaar karta hai..." (and started professing his love for me) Tears poured down Khushi's cheeks "Hume yahan se jaane ke alaava aur koi raasta nahi pata tha" (I didn't know what else to do other than leave this place)

Garima pulled Khushi into her arms and rubbed Khushi's back in an effort to calm her down, but she herself couldn't stop crying. "Hume maaf kardo Khusi! Humaari zidd ki wajah se.." (Forgive me Khusi! Because of my stubbornness" Madhumati couldn't complete her sentence, guilt filled her with shame. Khushi removed herself from her mother's embrace and looked at her aunt. She didn't even make an effort to negate what Madhumati said, her aunt was right, it was because of her stubbornness! For once, Khushi didn't feel like selflessly placating her aunt's guilt. She had done that once before, but now she didn't feel like doing it. She ran into her room and closed the door. Garima stood there shocked not knowing what to do.

Madhumati put her head between her hands and thought about her actions.. IF ONLY she had just listened to her brother when he said they should slow down a little and investigate this person. IF ONLY she just listened when Khushi refused, multiple times, to get engaged. IF ONLY she had been wise enough to see Devi Mayyan's sign when the engagement couldn't happen because Khushi had hurt her ring finger and the auspicious time had passed.. It was all her fault, and this young innocent girl of hers is paying the heavy price.