Trouble

The next morning, the members of the Raizada household were all seated at the dining table, having their breakfast, it was unusually quiet - nobody wanting to stir the pot - so to speak. Other than Devyani, Arnav and Anjali, no one else knew that their unwanted guest from the previous day was still at their house. They had all figured that once Arnav came home, he would have kicked her out. So they were not prepared to conceal the surprise on their face when Shubadra walked in, Manorama leaned towards her husband "hello hi bye bye, yeh abhi tak yehi par hai ji.." (She is still here Ji) she mumbled and Manohar gestured her to quieten down.

Shubadra's stood close to the table, and her eyes scanned the occupants, she shook her head disapprovingly at Manorama and Payal, but took a seat without saying anything. Manorama and Payal who had noticed her expression, looked at their respective husbands before concentrating on the plate in front of them.

Shubadra just sat, her eyes darting from Payal to Manorama, who were sat on opposite sides of the table, "Tum nashta nahi logi Shubadra?" (Are you not having any breakfast Shubadra?) Devyani's voice cut across the silence, everyone turned their attention to Shubadra "Lungi na.. agar koi mere liye khaana parose tho" (I will definitely have.. If someone serves me) She said with an air of superiority, and her eyes landed on Payal

Payal clearly understood the message, but she didnt know if she should oblige or not. She looked around the table from the corners of her eyes, no one seemed to show any reaction, so she decided she would serve the older lady this one time. She pushed her chair back, and was about to stand up, but Akash stopped her with a hand on her shoulder, "aap apna khaana khalijiye Payal" (You have your food Payal) He said out loud, he looked towards the kitchen "Hariprakash" he called out and then looked at Arnav, who gave him a slight nod, registering his approval. Akash noticed his family looking at him in awe making him blush, he adjusted his spectacles and concentrated on his plate.

Hariprakash walked into the dining hall "Ji Akash baba?" (Yes Akash Baba?) Akash looked up, and then turned to his grandmother, Devyani blinked her eye, she knew her youngest grandson was not used to giving orders to the servants of the house "HariPrakash, humaare mehmaan ke liye nashta paros dijiye" (HariPrakash, serve our guest some breakfast) The young lad nodded his head and did as he was told. He placed the filled plate in front of Shubadra and left the dining hall.

Shubadra was irked, and she let it show on her face. It appalled her even more that no one seemed to be bothered that she was unhappy. "Devyani, kya tumhari bahuon is ghar pe koi kaam nahi karti hai kya? kal bhi maine dekha tha.. yeh dono tumhare saamne aaraam se baiti thi" (Devyani, your daughters in law don't do any work in this house? I noticed yesterday as well, they were seated in front of you, relaxing) She taunted, Devyani took a deep breath "iss mai tumhe kya dikkat hai Shubadra?" (What problem do you have with this Shubadra)

Shubadra scoffed "bahuon ka farz hai.. apni saas ke seva karna... hamaare yahan saas ke saamne ladki bait thi bhi nahi.. saat mai khaana tho bohot door ki baat hai" (It is the duty of a daughter in law to serve her mother in law.. at my place, the girl doesn't even dare to sit in front of her mother in law, eating together is out of the question) she said proudly, and Arnav rolled his eyes, Anjali shook her head, unable to believe that she was related to this woman, The rest of them were too shocked to react.

"par yahan tho.." (But here..) she gestured at Manorama and Payal with both her hands "dono maharaaniyon jaise bait ke saas ke saamne khana kha rahe hai" (Both are seated like queens in front of their mother in law and having their food) She looked at Payal and Manorama with disgust and the two of them looked down, feeling very uncomfortable.