Befuddled

A few days later Shubadra walked into the hall and found Anjali seated all alone.. she looked around in surprise.. and then smiled at her good fortune.. She thought this was the perfect chance for her to get the information she needed. 

Ever since she heard Arnav talking about selling off Seesh Mehal, she had been waiting for the opportunity to talk to Anjali, but the woman was never found to be alone.. She was always in the company of someone or the other.. at times it was Devyani, at times Manorama and at times it was Payal, and sometimes it was all of them together.

She had tried broaching the subject with Devyani at one occasion but was immediately shut down, and given a warning to never take that topic in front of her ever again, or she will have to look for a new place to live. Shubadra's own ego had stopped her from interacting with Manorama and Payal, because she saw them as people from a lower status than herself. 

Anjali was different, from what Shubadra had observed now, and what she remembered from the past, Anjali was much softer in dealing with people, which is why she had decided that Anjali would be the best person to approach with her queries.. 

Shubadra had been thankful when she found that Devyani, along with Payal and Manohar would be accompanying the Gupta's to Lucknow. Anjali had an appointment with her gynaecologist, so she could not travel with the family, Manorama had stayed back to keep her company.. the two of them would travel with Arnav and Akash just the day before the Godh Bharai.

To Shubadra's bad luck, Manorama had been sticking to Anjali like glue for the last two days.. which is why Shubadra was surprised to find Anjali seated in the hall all alone.. knitting something while listening to music. Shubadra walked closer and called out "Anjali", the younger woman looked up, "Ji?" (Yes?)

"Kya hum yahan bait sakte hai?" (Can I sit here?) Anjali furrowed her brows, her guards went up hearing the oh so sweet voice of the older woman, she knew Shubadra never spoke to anyone so kindly, let alone ask for permission to sit down. Ever since she had come into the house, she had been behaving with a air of superiority. 

"Aap iss ghar mai ek mehmaan hai.. tho aap bait sakti hai" (You are a guest in this house, so you can sit down) saying so Anjali was about to get up, she thought it was better she went to her own room, Shubadra clenched her jaw, at the reminded that she was nothing but a 'guest' here, she swallowed her anger and put her hand on Anjali's shoulder to stop her from getting up 

"Kya aap humaare saat nahi baitegi? jab se aaye hai, aapke saat baat karne ka mauka hi nahi mila" (Won't you sit with me? From the time I arrived here, I have never gotten the opportunity to talk to you) Anjali let out a mirthless chuckle "Woh isliye kyun ki hum aapse koi baat nahi karna chahte hai" (That is because I do not want to have any conversation with you) Shubadra gave a small defeatist smile "Baitiye na.. hum aapke koi dushman nahi hai.. Daadi hai aapke" (Sit down will you.. I am not your enemy.. I am your grandmother) Anjali rolled her eyes but settled back on her seat.

Shubadra inwardly smirked, she knew Anjali had a soft heart, and she would never openly disrespect her.. Now, If it had been Arnav in place of Anjali, he would have mocked her and walked away. "Kitne mahine hogayi hai abhi?" (How many months along are you now?) She started with small talk, Anjali gave her a look but answered her question nevertheless, and continued to knit.

"Hmm.. aapke pehla bacha hai na yeh" (Hmm.. this is your first child right?) Anjali nodded her head, without looking up "Hume pata hai.. jab iss haal mai hote hai tho zyadatar ladkiyan maike mai hi rehna pasand karte hai" (I know.. In this condition, mostly girls prefer to be at their maternal homes) Shubadra said with a smile, Anjali gave her a look from the corner of her eyes wondering where this conversation was headed towards.