Grief

Madhumati and Garima stood on the side of the road, waiting for a rickshaw. After almost three hours of shopping, they were finally done.  It had already gotten dark, they needed to get home quickly, so walking back wasn't an option. It took them a good 10 minutes to flag down an empty Rickshaw and another 10 to reach home. After paying the driver his fare, the two ladies entered the house, it was eerily quiet "Lagta hai aaj hamri Sanka Devi ne mounvrat rakhi hai.. itna sannata hai ghar mei" (Looks like our Sanka Devi has promised to keep silent today, the house is so quiet) Madhumati chuckled, but Garima looked pensive "Ay Garima.. Ka hua? Ja, Jaake dekho oo titaliya kahan hai.. aur usse kaho ki eehaan aake hamri madad kare... " (Ay Garima, what happened? Go, Go and see where that butterfly is... and tell her to come here and help me) The elder lady said as she placed all the items on the coffee table and sat down to press her legs.

Garima opened Khushi's room and switched on the lights, she felt alarmed at the lack of Khushi's things in the room, the stars that usually hung over the bed were missing, her Devi Maiyyan statue was missing. The wardrobe that was left open was missing half its content. She rushed out shouting "Jiji... Khushi yahan nahi hai... uski samaan bhi nai hai" (Jiji... Khushi isn't here... her things are missing as well) she started to cry and Madhumati stood up in panic. 

For a moment she thought she misheard what Garima said, so she went into Khushi's room, and her heart sank as realisation struck. Khushi wasn't here. The two of them went into Sashi's room, which was shrouded in darkness, indicating that it had been quite sometime since Khushi left. Madhumati switched on the lights and they were greeted with the distressed face of Sashi, Garima's tears had confirmed Sashi's doubts. He turned his head towards the ceiling and let his tears flow.

It was Madhumati who noticed the letter on the side table, she opened it and gasped, "Garima...  ee dekho.." (Garima, look at this) she handed the letter to her sister in law, who read it out loud. In the letter Khushi had stated that she was leaving because she saw no other option, to forgive her for any of her wrong doings, and not to look for her. Garima fell on the floor breaking down into inconsolable tears, while Madhumati sat on the bed holding her head...

Garima lamented out loud, why would Khushi do something like this? She seemed to be bubbling with happiness these past few days... what made her to take such a decision?  Sashi, who had an idea as to why Khushi took this decision, was unable to communicate. Madhumati had no answers for her sister in law, so she sat with her head between her hands.

After a while, Garima looked up "Jiji... Payal" was all she could manage to say, Madhumati pulled out her phone and rang her elder niece, Payal's chirpy voice made her think twice about what she was about to drop on her, but she couldn't hold it in anymore "Payaliaaa" she cried out and as expected Payal tensed up, she had literally shrieked when Madhumati took Khushi's name before breaking into uncontrollable sobs. Hearing the panic in Payal's voice, Madhumati realised that Payal could take a different understanding to her cries, and she didn't want her drawing the wrong conclusions, so she calmed her self enough to narrate what happened.

Payal sat with a thud, and her phone slipped from her hands, Akash immediately put his arms around her "Kya hua Payal? Kya kaha buaji ne? Khushi ji ko kya hua?" (What happened Payal? What did Buaji say? What happened to Khushi ji?) Payal looked at Akash before she broke down into hysterical sobs, making everyone really worried, so much so that even Manorama had gotten up from her seat and come closer to Payal. 

Anjali brought a glass of water, standing next to Payal, she gently rubbed her head, "Payal Ji, yeh lijiye, paani peejiye" (Payal Ji, take this, have some water) she said softly Akash helped Payal with the glass of water. After taking a sip of water, Payal tried to speak between her sobs "Khu... Khushi gha.. ghar se chali gayi" (Khushi left home) making everyone gasp, Payal leaned against Akash as a fresh bout of silent tears poured from her eyes. "Hello Hi Bye Bye... aisi kyun kiya oo phatti sadi?" (Why did she do something like that?) Manorama asked incredulously, Akash sent a side eyed glare towards Shyam and held Payal tighter, rubbing down her back to calm her.

Shyam felt anger rising within himself, how dare that girl leave him... he wanted to voice out his anger, but couldn't.. not without bringing suspicion on himself, he saw Anjali's tears.. his wife's fragility could come in use now, he stood up and walked towards her, "Rani Sahiba.. aise rona teek nai hai... baitiye yahan..." (Rani Sahiba, it isn't good for you to cry like this, come sit here) He guided her to the seat next to Devayani then he turned to Payal "Aisi bhi kya pareshani hai Khushi ji ko, ke kisi ko bina bataye chali gayi.. dekhiye Rani Sahiba ko..  ro ro ke unki haal kharaab hogayi" (What kind of problem does Khushi ji have? that she left like this without informing anyone? look at Rani Sahiba, her condition is getting worse due to crying) his voice was enraged, making both Akash and Payal glare back at him. He was taken back for a second, but decided that Akash was glaring at him for shouting at Payal.

"Shayad kisi majboori mei woh yahan se chali gayi.. par aap Khushi ji pe itne ghussa kyun horahe hai Jeejaji?" (Maybe circumstances forced her to leave this place... But why are you getting so angry at Khushi ji, Jeejaji?) Akash asked glaring at Shyam, and the latter looked a little fazed by the direct question "Nahi.. hum sirf Rani Sahiba ke liye pareshaan ho rahe the" (Nothing like that, I was just worried for Rani Sahiba)  Shyam said toning down his anger... he needed to be very careful. Anjali was deep in thought for a while, she was trying to think back to see if there had been any signs that something was bothering Khushi... She couldn't remember anything.. in fact, all she remembers from the last few days is how close Khushi and Arnav were getting...

"Naani...Chote... woh isse kaise bardash karega?" (Naani... how would Chote be able to digest this news?) Anjali's question had everyone, other than Devayani, confused "Kya matbal Anjali bitiya... Arnav Bitwa kyun taaleret nai kar sakega?" (What do you mean Anjali? Why wouldn't Arnav be able to tolerate this news?) Manorama voiced out the question in everyone's mind. It was Devayani who replied "Kyunki Chote Khushi Bitiya ko pasand karat hai" (Because Arnav likes Khushi) earning loud gasps from everyone in the room "Hello... Hi... Bye... Bye... " Manorama whispered as she sat down in disbelief. Akash and Payal looked at each other in surprise, and realised that their spouse had no idea either.. 

Together they turned towards Shyam, he looked absolutely deranged. "Shyam ji" he schooled his features when he heard Anjali call out to him "Ji Rani Sahiba?" (Yes Rani Sahiba) He sat down near her taking her palm in between his hands. His actions made Akash and Payal scoff in disgust "Hum police mei complain karen kya? aap ke pehchaan mei inspectors honge na... hum unse help le sakte hai na" (Should we register a complaint with the police? There might be some Inspectors that you are familiar with, we could ask for their help right?) Anjali's voice was filled with hope, Shyam gulped down not knowing how to escape this unexpected turn in events. He wasn't the kind of lawyer that dealt with any police personnel... In actuality he was a nobody in the court scene.. he made his money in crooked ways... He needed to think how to keep himself away from this issue... "Haaan... hum phone leke aate hai Raani Sahiba" (Yes.. let me get my phone and come) he was about to leave, when Akash stopped him. 

"Aap rukiye Jeejaji.. Hum Bhai ko kahenge..." (Stay Jeejaji, I will tell Bhai..) The look Akash had on his face confused Shyam... did he know the truth? no.. that is not possible... Payal wouldn't risk telling him. "Haan.. yeh teek rahega... Saale saab higher officials ko jaante honge" (Yeah, That would be better, He would know higher officals) He said uncertainly. "Akash, pehle pucho ke woh kahan hai... agar gadi mei hai tho kuch mat batana" (Akash, first find out where he is, if he is in the car do not tell him anything) Anjali said quickly as Akash pulled out his phone.

"Yes Di" Akash said before he tapped on Arnav's number, pleasantly surprised by the quick response, Akash spoke "Bhai.. Aap kahan hai?" (Bhai.. where are you?) Akash paused for the answer "Bhai... woh.. Khushiji.." (Bhai... umm... Khushiji) Akash's eyes widened in surprise at whatever Arnav said and he looked around at the questioning glances, he looked away and concentrated on what his brother was telling him "Haan.. teek hai bhai... Hum aapke liye wait karenge" (Yeah okay Bhai, we will wait for you)

Akash slowly put his phone away, gathering his thoughts, he took a deep breath and looked up at the expectant faces.