Chapter 40: First Lunch

Back in my office, my thoughts drifted away from the stack of paperwork in front of me. I found myself mulling over my conversation with Luke this morning. He had casually mentioned that my belongings from my apartment would be delivered to his penthouse this afternoon. The reality of it all made me both excited and nervous – today marked the day I was officially moving in with Luke.

His penthouse, a sprawling expanse of luxury, was almost intimidating in its grandeur. It boasted eight bedrooms, ten bathrooms, two libraries, three study rooms, and multiple living areas, spread over three levels. Every corner exuded modern luxury, and it was hard to believe I would soon be calling such a place home.

Lost in thoughts about our impending cohabitation, my phone buzzed with a message from Luke. It read, "Lunchtime. Check your elevator code." He had organized a private meal for us in his penthouse, a thought that still left me in disbelief.

Leaving my office, I entered the elevator, confused at first because there was no button for the penthouse. Nevertheless, I entered the code Luke had sent me into the touchscreen. To my surprise, the screen shifted, asking for my fingerprint. After complying, the elevator hummed to life, ascending smoothly.

The doors opened to a breathtaking sight – a vast, glass-walled living space that seemed to stretch endlessly. The room was surrounded by lush plants, flowers, and roses, creating a serene, almost otherworldly atmosphere. The beauty of the place was overwhelming, leaving me speechless.

In the center of this paradise stood Luke, his gaze fixed on me. As I approached, still in awe of the surroundings, he closed the distance between us. Wrapping his arms around my waist, he greeted me with a look that was both sexy and tender. "Hi there," he said, his voice a soft caress.

"Hi," I managed to respond, my heart fluttering.

"I'm glad you made it," he said before leaning in for a gentle kiss. Then, taking my hand, he led me to the table he had set for our meal..

The lavish spread before us could easily have fed a small gathering. Luke noticed my astonished expression and explained, "I wasn't sure about your lunch preferences, so I ordered a variety of dishes." There was a sweetness in him, a gentle side he often masked behind a façade of confidence.

I assured him with a smile, "I'm not picky at all, I'll enjoy whatever you've chosen." His response was a light-hearted, "Well, I am picky," followed by a laugh that eased the formality of the setting.

As we sat down to eat, the atmosphere was relaxed and intimate. Luke playfully insisted I sit on his lap while we dined. It was a tender, albeit slightly impractical gesture. I knew it wasn't the most comfortable position for him, especially when it came to eating. So, I would occasionally move back to my chair, only for him to lift me back onto his lap, claiming he could manage just fine.

After the meal, we settled onto the couch, our conversation flowing effortlessly.

The evening was calm, a gentle serenity enveloping Luke's living room as we relaxed on his plush couch. The stars outside painted a tranquil backdrop, their distant twinkle mirroring the ease and comfort I felt in Luke's presence. We'd been exchanging lighthearted stories, each anecdote drawing us closer, building a bridge of trust and understanding.

In a moment of quiet, a wave of resolve washed over me. There was a part of my story I had kept hidden, a secret that lay buried deep. My heart pounded, a mix of nervousness and determination stirring within me. "Luke, there's something about my family I've never shared with anyone outside of my closest circle," I started, my voice barely above a whisper.