Chapter 22: Electric Encounters

The Rio Carnival Parade exploded with a riot of colors, echoing with the resounding beats of drums and cheerful melodies. Everywhere I turned, dancers in vibrant costumes twirled, and the air was charged with excitement. Amid the revelry, Luke and I found ourselves shoulder to shoulder, taking in the spectacle. Around us, people lost themselves in the celebration, but between Luke and me, there was a palpable tension.

As a group of flamboyantly dressed dancers passed by, their feathers brushing against us, I could feel my heart racing. Every accidental brush of Luke's arm against mine sent a jolt of excitement down my spine.

Catching a fleeting moment of calm, Luke scanned the bustling crowd, then turned to look at me. As our eyes met, I quickly averted mine, cheeks warming. "It's so crowded," he commented, a hint of amusement in his voice. "We should stay close."

Without waiting for a response, he gently took my hand. The unexpected touch caught me off guard, sending a shiver through me. We stood there for a moment, just watching the vibrant festivities, our hands locked in a silent embrace.

Soon enough, Sophia and Sarah broke our trance, approaching us with trays of drinks. "Figured you two might need a little liquid courage," Sarah teased, handing a drink to both me and Luke.

As I took my drink, our fingers briefly disentangled, and I wrapped my hand around the cold glass, taking a momentary reprieve from the electric touch. The cool liquid provided a brief respite from the heat of the evening and the warmth of Luke's gaze.

Leaning close, I whispered to Sophia, "You do realize you've ushered my crush-um, my boss-into the heart of this wild revelry, right?"

A mischievous sparkle danced within Sophia's eyes as she winked. "That's the magic of the night, isn't it?" she grinned, her laughter a sweet melody amidst the intoxicating beats that echoed through the streets.

Trying to deflect, I turned back to Luke, who had been observing our exchange with an amused expression. "Enjoying the parade?" I asked, attempting to sound casual.

He chuckled, "It's... captivating," he replied, mirroring my earlier hesitation.

With a final chuckle, Sophia and Sarah exchanged knowing glances. Sarah raised her glass, commenting, "We'll be around. Don't let work talk dominate your evening." As she tapped her drink to mine, they both winked and drifted back into the crowd.