Book 2 Chapter 3: Temptations and Turbulence

The morning light spilled into the kitchen, casting a warm glow on a scene that was both intimately familiar and strangely foreign. There, amidst the sizzle of the skillet and the aroma of brewing coffee, stood Sebastian and Luke. Their bare-chested forms moved with an effortless masculinity that was hard to ignore. Luke, in particular, with his brooding eyes and a body carved from desires, evoked a storm of emotions within me. His presence was a constant reminder of the passions I must have once felt, the memories of which now lay just beyond my grasp.

"Good morning, babe... I mean, Emma," Luke corrected himself, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness that he tried to mask. It was a dance we had become accustomed to since my memory loss. Endearments felt foreign on his lips now, at my request, as they echoed from a past I couldn't recall. Each time he adhered to my wishes, I saw the flicker of pain in his eyes, a silent testament to the struggle he faced in treating me like a stranger.

Sebastian, with his devil-may-care attitude and a smirk that spelled trouble, added fuel to the fire. "I'm not sticking to 'just Emma'. I'll think of something more fitting, depending on my mood," he said, his gaze lingering on me with an unspoken flirtation.

Luke's reaction was immediate, his voice cold and sharp. "Shut the fuck up, Sebastian. She's my wife, and you will respect that. Call her by her name, or so help me, I'll kick you out."

Sebastian laughed, a taunting sound that did little to ease the tension. "Ease up, big brother. You're already souring the morning," he teased, turning to me with a wink. "Don't mind him, Peach. He's just cranky that I'm here to brighten your day."

The air crackled with unspoken animosity as Luke shot Sebastian a look that could cut steel. It was a silent warning, heavy with the threat of violence. Sebastian, undeterred but aware of the line he was treading, shrugged with a nonchalant air. "Alright, alright. Let's just eat. And honestly, Luke, I'm glad you're heading back to the office. Your brooding face was starting to become a permanent fixture around here."

Luke's retort came with a mix of frustration and brotherly affection, a cocktail only siblings could truly understand. "I swear, Sebastian, the stuff you spew out... I'm often left speechless. And for your information, this is mine and Emma's place. I come and go as I damn well please. And speaking of which, when are you planning on returning to your own place? You've overstayed your welcome, and it's my face that's sick of seeing yours, not the other way around."

Their playful banter, a familiar dance of words and wits, drew a laugh from me. The lightheartedness of their exchange, despite the underlying tensions, was refreshing. "Guys, are you going to keep this up, or is someone actually going to feed me? I'm starving here, and as you both well know, cooking isn't exactly my forte," I joked, trying to ease the atmosphere.

Breakfast proceeded with a semblance of normalcy. Luke, with a tenderness that both warmed and confused my heart, occasionally fed me. His actions were sweet, and each kiss he planted on my forehead was a bittersweet reminder of the affection I was struggling to remember. The meal was a mix of silence and soft exchanges, a dance around the complexities of our situation.

As we finished, Luke's concern surfaced again. "Are you sure you'll be okay with my asshole brother here? I can work from home, attend my meetings via video call if you need me to." His protective nature was evident, his eyes searching mine for any sign of discomfort.

I reassured him, feeling a newfound sense of independence. "Honestly, Luke, I'm fine. You've already taken so much time off. I don't need constant supervision anymore. I'm getting around just fine, just waiting for my memories to catch up. I'll be okay."

He cupped my cheek gently, his touch a silent promise of support. "Okay, call me anytime you need, alright? And don't hesitate to punch Sebastian if he gets too annoying." There was a playful glint in his eye as he said it, but the concern was real. He leaned in, and for a moment, it seemed he would kiss my lips, but he remembered my boundaries and chose my forehead instead. "I love you, Emma. I'll wait for you, for as long as it takes."

Watching Luke leave, I was left in the company of Sebastian, his presence a stark contrast to Luke's. Sebastian's demeanor was more relaxed, more provocative, yet underneath lay an unspoken tension. His flirtatious remarks were like riddles, leaving me to wonder about the nature of our relationship before my memory loss.