Fifty Three

One Year Later
October

Naomi's POV

I walked into TD Garden to our seats for the first regular season game of the year. Football practice ran late today and traffic was bad so I'm coming in at the start of the second quarter.

"Hey ma." I sat down beside my mother in law.

"Hey baby. How was work?"

"It was fine. I'm so tired but I promised Jay I'd be here."

I looked at the court but didn't see him so I looked at the bench and saw him at the end. He perked up a little when we made eye contact.

I smiled and waved at him and it looked like he blushed because he had a shy smile on his face as he waved back.

Jay and I are doing much better. The intimacy has went up over the year. We've committed to carving out more time in our schedules for each other. You know being intentional about our marriage.

"When can I have my grandchildren back? It's been two weeks now."

"Girl." I laughed at Miss.Brandy. "It's only been two weeks and you acting like it's been eternity."

"It has been. I need to see my babies."

"I'll talk to your son to make sure but I think we said after the game on Friday you can have them for the weekend."

"Wonderful. They told me we're making a big fort and having taco night. With lots of ice cream."

"Sounds fun. Wish I was invited."

"You have to work sweetie but if you didn't you'd be more than welcome....unless you and my son wanted some alone time to make another-"

"Let me stop you right there my sweet mother in law. Not happening. Me and Jay are finally in a good space together, the kids are doing great. I don't know if we want to mess that up."

I am absolutely killing it at my job. When I say I haven't felt this much joy in my career in a while, I mean it. Then I'm doing the damn thing when it comes to being mommy and wife? I am so happy these days.

"I hear you Nae. I do but y'all are still young, you sure you don't want one more? Have you thrown out all your baby stuff?"

"I have not but it'll be shipped off soon. Jasmine is going to need all of it."

Yes my girl is pregnant! When I tell you I cried when she told me. I'm so excited for her and Brandon. She's in New Orleans full time now so we don't see each other often but we talk or text almost everyday on the phone.

"You a lie." She looked at me trying to hold her laughter in. "You know Jasmine is getting everything fresh out of the box. She don't need no hand me downs."

"Oh look. Jayson is checking back into the game." I scooted up in my seat to really lock in.

The baby talk is played out. I have 3 and I've been blessed. I'm getting older, about to turn 31. And that's still young but I don't know how I feel about another baby. I know I said I missed being pregnant but eh.

Plus don't they say chances of multiples rise as you get older? The thought of 5 kids already sounds kind of scary but the possibility of 6 or more? I don't think so.

Jay and I haven't even talked about it beyond the day I had mentioned being pregnant. I think he knows me well enough to know I was just chatting.

When the game ended, I stood up as he made his way over to me immediately after his post game interview. He kissed me then put his arm around my shoulder as he greeted his mom and step dad.