꧁ ✧ Chapter 1 ✧ ꧂

Don't forget to vote please! It really helps <33

Willow that Shines at Dawn sighed, crouching by the caught prey pile. Her olive eyes were clouded with grief, and guilt swarmed over her as she remembered the night before last. So many cats were gone. Even the prey-hunters had joined the fight. She vividly remembered Dandelion Like the Sun's mother, Wind that Smells of Pine, a cave guard, fighting in front of them against Sharptooth, while they fled from the terror they had accidentally caused. She whimpered with guilt. She had now introduced Sharptooth to the cave, the one place the tribe had always tried to keep a secret for seasons and seasons. She had ruined everything. Dandelion came over, and crouched beside her, pressing his nose into her neck fur. He knew she was hurt, as his mother was like a second mother to her. When her own mother died, a moon after she was born, it was Wind that looked after her. She pressed her head into him and lifted it again when she saw Stoneteller walking over to them. She lowered her gaze in respect, and worry. What is she going to say?

"Willow, Dandelion. Follow me to my den." She walked away, flicking her tail for them to follow. The two young cats followed slowly; their paws timed together perfectly. As they neared Stoneteller's cave, they sped up, not wanting to be seen by other tribe members.

"Whose idea was it to sneak out at night with no protection?" Stoneteller sounded tired. Grief was taking its toll on everyone, it seemed.

"Mine." Dandelion answered immediately.

"Hang on a minute- "Willow tried to interrupt but Stoneteller flicked her tail for her to be silent. She obeyed, not because she should, but because she was shocked by Dandelion's answer. It wasn't even true. She had begged him to have a little fun, and he had come along hesitantly. Only it hadn't turned out fun at all.

Stoneteller had sent her out, and Willow sat outside her cave while she talked with Dandelion. She looked around guiltily, cats casting her glances as they padded past. Hissing whispers between them made her fur prickle. Suddenly they both appeared and she stepped back. She was deaf to Stoneteller's call for a tribe meeting. Dandelion nudged her down the half-slope. His gaze was blank.

"A member of the tribe will be leaving us today." Gasps were heard throughout the tribe, but none as loud as Willow's.

What? This can't be happening! She thought as she pressed into Dandelion.

"Dandelion, step forward."

"Dandelion, no! Please you know it was my idea. Dandelion, stop!" She whispered at him as he walked up to Stoneteller.

"Dandelion Like the Sun, you have proven to be selfish, and unintelligent. You led Willow out under the cover of darkness and left a trail for Sharptooth. We cannot have cats like you in our tribe. Therefore, I must banish you. You are to leave by sun-high. You may eat, say your goodbyes and leave. If you are seen by a tribe member, you will be treated like an outsider."

Willow sobbed as Dandelion dipped his head. They were both so young. Everyone makes mistakes. Suddenly she stood up, subconsciously.

"Then I am leaving the tribe." Shocked murmurs spread through the crowd as she continued.

"I will leave with him, and you will all be dead to me." A wave of gasps flowed through the crowd at her fierce words, and Dandelion padded forward, the crowd separating a path as they scrambled away from him, as If he were dangerous. He ignored them, his soft yellow eyes questioning.

"Willow, what are you doing? You can't do this, stay with the tribe!"

"I have made my decision. I'm coming with you, wherever you go. I will always follow you." Her eyes searched his as they stood face to face. They turned around to go say goodbye to their fathers and Dandelion's older sister, Leaf from Autumn Tree.

They all ate together, in mournful silence.

꧁✧꧂

Stoneteller's voice sounded from across the cave. Dandelion got up, and she did the same. Willow pressed her face into Feather Falling from Bird's shoulder, her father. He sighed.

"You don't have to go..."

"I know." She replied sadly. "But I can't leave dandelion on his own..."

"I know." He pulled away and looked into her olive eyes.

"Your mother would be proud of you." Willow squinted at him as her eyes watered, and she knew the same was happening for him. They embraced one last time, before turning away from him with Dandelion. Together they walked to the entrance. Lots of encouraging mews came from the crowd, and Dandelion dipped his head earnestly. Willow sniffed at them and held her head high.

Sure, they were being nice now, but they didn't exactly object to their banishment. She resented those whom she once loved. She didn't want to, but she knew she had to if she was to survive. They arrived at the entrance. Stoneteller dipped her head at them, seeming sorrowful. She stared at Willow with purpose.

"Good luck out there, both of you." She pressed her nose to Dandelion and spoke softly, almost too soft for Willow to hear but she caught some of it.

"I'm sorry. I must tell you, that you...

...Without...

...Hide...

...Give up...

...Please...

...Purpose..." She couldn't hear the rest and Dandelion's expression was unreadable. Stoneteller turned to her. She came close and whispered something to Willow that sent shivers down her spine.

"Willow is strong and flexible. But what can be bent, can be broken. Be careful, and no matter what, do not break. Your future awaits." Stoneteller's ice-blue eyes shone against her white fur and her voice shook as if she was scared, but the gleam in her eyes was anything but fear. It scared her, and Willow backed away.

Was that a prophecy?

Stoneteller shook out her snow-coloured fur and looked at them both. "May the tribe of endless hunting watch over you both, guide your paws, and send you good hunting. Good luck." Willow glanced around and saw nothing but her father, standing alone. He didn't have anyone now. He didn't have a purpose other than to hunt for the tribe. After her mother and sister died, she was all he had. She was leaving him with nothing. Her heart burst for him, but she couldn't go back now. She lifted her tail for him, and a smile spread across his face.

He raised his tail, the quietest yet most painful goodbye. With that, both Dandelion and herself walked out into the spring night.