11. The homework

L - That makes the denominator three, and you get one-third. Which means you have three thirds, which is equal one. Simple, right ?

I'm on the sofa reading one of my novels. Loid is helping Anya with her homework, but I don't think she really understands what he's talking about...

Y - L-Loid, Why don't you both take a break ?

Nee-san suggests, dusting off a shelf.

L - Absolutely not. She has to learn at least this much by today.

He let a moment pass before looking at her.

L - If you don't finish this, you don't get your spy cartoon tonight.

Anya raised her head and looked at him, dumbfounded.

L - Well ? What's the Answer here ?

He indicated on the notebook which question she should do. She dropped her pencil and went to pick it up, but fell. I watched her fall with a neutral expression. It wasn't the first time I saw her fall, after all.

Y - Are you all right, Anya?!

She crouched down to help her stand up.

Loid looked at her wearily.

L - What's wrong ? Well? Why can't you solve this ?

She took off running and shouting:

A - I don't wanna study !

I watched her go and then looked at Loid.

- Maybe you shouldn't force her to study, She'll learn on her own. Besides, I've noticed that it's easier to learn when you really want to, rather than forcing someone to memorize things they don't understand.

I returned to my book and turned the page.

L - Yes, but she needs to study more to become an Imperial Scholar.

Yor step up.

Y - But is that something she wants for herself ?

He looked to see where her room was before turning back to Yor.

L - Well...

Y - I would really like Anya to enjoy going to school. Of course, she may need to study so that she doesn't get expelled.

I looked up from my book to see Nee-san's aura, a beautiful golden yellow.

(She's really compassionate, my sister. I'm lucky to have her...)

L - Yes... you're right.

POV Loid:

(She's still very young, so getting good grades is probably the least of her worries.)

I looked in Mitsuko's direction to see her gazing at Yor with fond in her eyes.

Y - Oh, I'm sorry... I shouldn't butt into another family's affairs.

- No, it's quite all right. You too, Mitsuko. Thank you, both of you.

POV Mitsuko:

I nodded my head in agreement with my sister and him.

Y - I'm sure other parents go through the same thing. Let's take a break. I'll make us some tea.

After Yor had prepared the tea and Loid a hot chocolate for his daughter, he approached Anya's room.

L - Anya! We made you some hot cocoa.

He received no reply.

L - And now she's holed up in her room.

Y - She must still be angry.

They returned to the living room, Nee-san sitting next to me and Loid on the armchair.

Y - She reminds me of my little brother when he was small. She'll come out eventually.

At the mention of his name, I raised my head, interested in the conversation.

L - By the way, your brother works for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, right? 

He must have a brilliant academic record.

- Big brother was the smartest in his class, and he liked to help us and taught us new things every day. He was very curious!

Yor laughed a little at my description.

Y - I'm a bit ashamed to say it, but it's true : he taught us more than I taught him. Whenever I complimented him, his smile would light up the room! Just like Miti!

She turned to me as she finished her sentence. My cheeks pinkened a little.

Y - And that hasn't changed a bit!

L - I see. So part of his motivation was earning your praise.

Y - I 'm not sure about that, but if that is the case, perhaps you can be someone like that for Anya. It might be worth it to praise her for the smallest things. I think that'll make Anya happy.

L - Well... I'm not so sure about that.

Y - It's all right. Please be more confident in yourself. Don't you remember what Anya said ? That we're a perfect 100 points.

She looked in my direction and quickly add: "at the entrance interview for Eden". Then she turned her attention back to Loid.

Y - To Anya, you're a wonderful father.

He smiled gently and a yellow aura covered him.

L - I'm grateful to hear you say that.

Yor covered his mouth with her hand.

Y - Oh, no. I butted in as a stranger again.

Loid denied her.

L - No, Yor, you're not a stranger, nor part of someone else's family. more than anyone else. Mitsuko too. Right now, you're the mother of the Forger.

Then he turned to me.

L - You can express yourself freely too, Mitsuko.

He looked at each of us in turn.

L - I'm counting on you to provide whatever I'm lacking.

Y - Th-That's right. I'm actually your wife.

Loid laughed.

L - Make sure you don't say things like that outside.

He then suggested that we help Anya with her homework, which Nee-san gladly accepted; as for me, I wouldn't say no.

The clock struck.

Y - Oh, It's getting late.

L - I'll go have a chat with Anya.

He got up to go and see her.

Y - Then I'll go ahead and do the dishes.

Everyone went their separate ways and I picked up my book, which I had previously closed. I opened the page where I'd slipped a bookmark and began to read.

Loid emerged from the room with a thin smile.

I had to interrupt myself once more as it was time for dinner. Noticing Anya's absence, I asked Loid if there was a problem.

L - She fell asleep, so I put her to bed. I don't think she's going to wake up any time soon.

We started eating, chatting about little things here and there. The meal ended in good spirits. I cleared the table, not forgetting to feed Mei and 

Kumo, and went off to my room with my book.

The chapter is finished! 

Thanks for reading and don't hesitate to comment or vote if you liked it!