22. Concentration

- (Not the most interesting lesson of the day...)

I sighed silently and turned my head to look out the window.

- (How lucky that today I've got my side by the window!)

I gazed boredly at the tree leaves waving in the wind. I looked down into the courtyard.

- (Looks like the Cp's need to clean it up, today).

I watched them, since they were my only distraction. I frowned.

- (It seems a student wants to harm Damian...)

I watched as mini Desmond unintentionally pushed the boy.

- (And now he's going to take the blame when it was just an accident).

I saw Anya get in Damian's face to defend him, which must have worked because the teacher left without punishing anyone. I continued to watch them, it looked like a drama the way the "victim" leaned on the tree and told his backstory, or what I thought it was.

? - Would you do us the pleasure of returning to us, Miss Briar?

I quickly turned my head back to our teacher. I heard girls giggling and whispering in the classroom.

- Excuse me, Mr. Swan.

I smiled a false smile at him before he resumed his lesson.

- (What's he still doing here? Wasn't he supposed to be dismissed?)

Dimi nudged me, and I turned to him.

- (whispers) Yes?

D - (whispers) Are you all right? You seem a bit absent-minded since weeks...

I looked at him questioningly.

- (It's true that I'm paying less attention to lessons these days...)

I smiled a sincere smile.

- (whispers) It's all right, I'm just a bit tired at the moment!

He nodded, realizing I wasn't going to elaborate any further and turned his attention back to the class. I did the same to try to follow this boring teacher.

●●●

- (never seen another girl this perfect~ sticking out your tongue for the picture~ you're so pretty, you're so popular~)

I hum my favorite song as I eat.

E - And then the teacher told me that if I use my brain properly, I'll be able to do it. Can you believe it? Are you listening to me? Miti?

I lift my head from the peas and nod.

- Yes, you're talking about the history teacher, aren't you?

E - Yes! And then the class laughed!

D - Well, you should listen to him a bit.

She looks at him outraged.

E - What do you mean?!

And they started bickering like cats and dogs again. I stop them.

- Dimi, are you going to eat your dessert?

He passed it straight to me and resumed his argument against Emi.

- Thanks, Dimi!

I ate it while continuing to watch them, it's quite funny. Emi seems to be acting like a cat with its claws out, while Dimi remains calm and in his place like a guard dog. Really fun.

●●●

A - So, yeah, that happened.

I look at her with incomprehension. Anya has just told us what had happened this morning in the courtyard.

- (I understand better now... But why did they start singing and Damian started dancing?! Even if it's for the chorus...)

Yor was very moved to hear this story from Anya.

Y - What a lovely story!

L - I-I see.

I looked at Loid with a look that said "don't try to understand". He nod his head but resumed his seriousness.

L - But Glooman Pharmaceuticals just got bought out. It's not going bankrupt.

Anya and I pronounced at the same time: "Eh".

●●●

- (This morning, Anya and I left in a hurry, so I'll redeem myself with my snakes tonight)

I see a shadow forming on my notebook, yet we're on the 3rd floor and there are no trees. I turn my head to see what the problem is and I hold back a scream.

- (What's Nee-san doing here?! And climbing the school walls to boot?!)

I see her jump off the wall. I throw myself at the window to see if she's all right, and I gasp when I see her continuing to run with Anya's bag in her hand?

- (So Anya forgot her bag... But I thought she didn't have any sport today...)

I'm told to refocus and so I do. I forget the distracting thoughts and finally concentrate fully on my lesson, without distractions.

The chapter is finished!

Thanks for reading and don't hesitate to comment or vote if you liked it!