26. Reconciliation

? - I've got you cornered now, Bondman!

A - Curse you, King Scruff!

I watch them playing together, lying on the sofa. Loid must have realized that Yor was feeling sad so he decided to go out with her tonight. He called his friend Franky to come and 'babysit' us, even though I feel like I'm the nanny in the story.

A - Anya's gonna to draw now!

She sits down in front of the coffee table and picks up one of her favorite colored pencils.

F - Heh. I'll allow you to use the magical color-changing pen that I invented.

She takes it and look at it impressed.

F - Oh, yeah! I even brought a Frisbee for the goodest boy!

He runs to fetch it.

Loid, who's at the door, puts on his coat.

L - So, yeah. Thanks for looking after the ki...

The frisbee had touch on the back of his neck with violence. Franky approaches him angrily.

F - No, seriously! How many times do I have to tell you I ain't no babysitter?!

L - I already explained this to you.

I watch the two converse before interrupting.

- Otherwise, I could have looked after Anya on my own, no need for Franky.

L - Your proposal is kind, Mitsuko. But I'd rather have an adult present.

I nod, feeling a little offended.

- (I could keep her anyway, but then, you need an adult if there's an accident, and with Anya...)

I look at her and then we stare at each other without blinking.

- (You can never be too careful...)

Anya made an indinant face for some reason, but I smiled back at her and she continued drawing, grumbling.

Loid finally left to join Yor, who hadn't yet returned from work. I leaned out the window and saw Loid leaving with Nee-san.

- (I hope they make up. Even if it's a fake marriage, a good atmosphere in a home is better than a bad one, after all)

●●●

A - Mama and Papa are late. They must be shacking up somewhere.

Without lifting my nose from my book, I address Anya.

- Where did you learn that language?

I see that Franky is also curious and wants to know where Anya could have learned this word. Anya answers simply.

A - Mostly from Becky. I hope they'll be home soon.

Suddenly, he asks Anya a question.

F - Hey, do you love your mom and dad ?

This time I lift my head and my snakes, which are clinging to me, raise their head too.

She turn toward him and respond him without taking time to think.

A - I love them!

F - I see.

- (He's weird to ask a question like that...)

We hear the door open and the two adults enter.

L - We're home.

Anya runs to them, all happy.