23. The internship and the secret code

When we got home, Anya went straight to ask Nee-san something.

Y - A job investigation?

Anya nodded. Bond was lying on my lap and my snakes were around my neck, the four of us were sitting on the sofa watching their exchange.

A - I was told to ask why you chose your job or how I can get into that job. And I'm supposed to watch you do your job, too.

Y - Huh? My job?

I saw Yor thinking for a long moment.

- (I think she's still imagining incredible scenarios! As if she was going to take Anya to where she does her second job aka assassin)

Anya grew impatient and spoke, seeing that Yor was still silent.

A - I think I'm going to investigate Papa's job.

Nee-san refocused and said enthusiastically:

Y - I-I see... That's probably for the best! Working at city hall is a fine job, but it might be rather boring for you.

At the same moment, Loid returned home.

L - I'm home.

A - Papa! Blah, blah, yadda, yadda. Do you agree?

Knowing his daughter, he said yes right away without thinking, but he didn't think he would have taken her to the Berlint clinic for an internship.

●●●

Two days later, Anya accompanied Loid to his place of work. They left quite early and by the time I returned from my walk with my snakes and Bond, they were already gone. I wished my sister a good day and left the house to join the bus that was going to take me to Eden.

The day passed quickly and the evening arrived without me even noticing it, and Anya's slamming of the door as she came in made me realize it.

A - We're home, Mother! Big sister!

Y - Welcome home. I've been waiting for you.

- How was your internship day?

A - It was great!

I glanced at Loid and saw his look more tired than the other days.

- (It looks like it haven't been easy for him, well, she's quite energetic).

Y - Did you get to see Loid's amazing concussive recovery method at work?

I turned with a quick movement towards my sister.

- (What did she say?)

A - Concussive?

Anya asked in confusion as Loid raised a hand in panic.

L - Er, uh, Yor... That's just for extreme emergencies

Y -He punched and kicked his patients with such might!  It was fantastic to witness!

A - Papa's filled with violence.

I looked at him strangely. He turned away from Yor and Anya to look at me.

L - It's not what you think, Miti!

I nodded, touchy.

- Hum, hum.

L - Miti...

●●●

Anya reported back her internship the next day, and Loid was summoned at the end of the day.

- (I wonder why Loid was summoned early. Maybe it had something to do with Anya's report, in any case, they coincide)

? - Well, you're definitely as elite as they say you are if you could decipher that code.

A - Anya's going to make a code, too!

Following the line from her favorite cartoon, always about spies, Anya began to scribble a coded message.

Loid looked in her direction.

L - Anya...

A - It's top secret!

She quickly covered her message with her arms.

L - No one's going to be able to read that, let alone crack the code.

I looked with him at what she'd written. I deadpanned.

- (I can't even say if it's a 3 or a 5...)

L - I need to go in for my night shift. Make sure you study hard and enjoy your reading, Miti.

He stood up, placing his newspaper on the coffee table and he left.

Yor entered the living room after doing the laundry and Anya ran towards her.

A - Mama, I have a request, please.

Y - What is it, Anya ?

She raised her paper and her pen in the air.

A - Could you write something for me just like I ask? 

●●●

At the table, I watched Yor write what Anya dictated to her. Nee-san passed her the sheet when she'd finished. She took the sheet in her hands.

A - The code is complete.

She got down from her chair and went to see Bond.

A - Listen well. This is a top-secret mission. Tell no one.Bond took the paper in his mouth.

The doorbell rang. Yor got up and opened the door.

? - I've got some mail for you.

I saw Anya go out discreetly and try to put her coded message in the letter carrier's satchel. The letter carrier saw her and bent down a little.

L-C - Miss ?... You need to put stamps on letters and put them in the mailbox, okay ?

Y - You mustn't do that, Anya.

After we got home, she tried again, giving it to the neighbors who thought it was a game. In the doorway I saw Franky, Loid's friend, talking to Anya. She put her letter in the back pocket of his pants, which he noticed and gave back to her before leaving.

Anya went home sulking.

●●●

I watched her continue to give her coded message to everyone in the school, even Dimi's little brother! But no one kept it, but I still saw her fall asleep with a smile when I'd gone to give her a good-night kiss.

I was having breakfast when I spotted Anya running around the house on a Saturday morning. She was yelling: "my secret code!".

I decided to finally ask her the question.

- What's happening, Anya ?

She looked at me in panic before exclaiming:

A - I forgot the appointment for the secret code!

She continued running around.

- (I see that her imagination doesn't perish with time.).

From another point of view:

Frankie was standing on the little bridge in the neighborhood at 08:00 sharp, dressed in a suit and tie with a huge bouquet of red roses in his hand.

He'd been the only one to take the time to decipher Anya's coded message and had gone to the appointment indicated on the paper, thinking that a beautiful young woman had written this letter specially for him.

Little did he know that he was going to be there for a long time for nothing.

The chapter is over! Thanks for reading and feel free to comment or vote if you liked it!

See you next time!