-7-

All activities were distributed, and Kareth escorted the young students back to school. The little dragon offered to take Lili to the first-year dormitories.

"I thought dragons were like enormous lizards," Lili dared to say.

"They are, but more dangerous," replied Kareth.

"But how..."

"They can take on a human form. It's rare because it takes all of their energy, but my father fell in love with my mother, so he didn't hesitate to do it for her."

"That's rather cute."

"If it could have made him less grumpy, that would have been better!"

Khalil smiled and pointed out a door to Lili, which was the dormitory, before bidding her farewell to go to his own.

The girl entered a small blue room for studying or chatting before going to sleep. Armchairs and couches surrounded a small magical blue flame that floated in the air. At the back was a recess that led to a window. On each side were two doors. The one on the right was painted with the boys' uniform, while the one on the left was decorated with the girls' uniform. Lili entered her dormitory, where there were bunk beds lined up along one wall and wardrobes across from them.

"Over here," whispered a familiar voice.

Lili walked all the way to the end of the room, seeing Ree in one of the top beds, the last one in the row against the wall.

"The bottom one is free," she whispered. "I've put your things in the wardrobe."

"I hope I won't disturb you tomorrow. I wake up an hour earlier for the farm."

Ree wanted to know more details, but Lili insisted on sleeping.

In the morning, she found the little dragon in front of her dormitory, accompanied by a third-year student who also worked on the farm. Luil Palinus, a very pale and thin young man with long black hair, was wearing a yellow uniform.

"Hello, Lili," the thirteen-year-old boy hesitated.

"You're in charge of the fields, right? I think... your name is Luil."

"...You have a good memory. It's rare for someone to remember me."

After a long awkward silence, Luil reached out his bony hand to the girl.

"I understand how you feel," he said, averting his eyes. "Both of my parents are hunters. No one wanted me when I first started school, except that no one came to defend me..."

Lili slipped her hand into his, smiling. Luil seemed surprised, not expecting it, but he managed a smile.

The three of them descended the stairs to the hall, where Zasissa and Saadia were waiting, along with a sixth-year student dressed in black, Risath Jite. Risath was a boy with long red hair that reached his shoulders. His green eyes were hidden behind a pair of glasses, and his summon, a small octopus, perched on his shoulder.

"You're late!" exclaimed the octopus.

"Octo, you're a summon, no need to lecture them," his owner teased.

The others laughed heartily, and they all set off towards the farm to do their work.

It was after two hours that they finished their work, rushing back to the castle so as not to miss their classes. Lili spotted her friends as they entered a classroom:

"Wait for me!" she called out, breathless.

The teacher, who was standing at the door, looked up and smiled at her. She arrived in front of him, catching her breath.

"Well," the teacher said. "I knew you were at the farm, I wouldn't have blamed you for being late."

"I don't like being late," Lili replied, blushing.

"Come in then."

The girl entered the classroom and went to sit next to Ree in the front row. The teacher, in his thirties, leaned against his desk, facing the class, in a relaxed and unserious posture.

"I am Raphaël Minyar," he announced. "And I am here to teach you how to use your wand. Who already knows some things?"

Ree eagerly raised her hand, making the teacher smile.

"That doesn't surprise me," he teasingly remarked. "So, Miss Tant, tell us what you know."

"Spells work based on commands," replied Ree.

"Indeed, that's the case for the simplest ones. But there are some that require a complete incantation. These are generally the most dangerous ones, those that can harm someone or have serious consequences, like a charm of beauty, love, pain, or immobilization. Let me show you. Alary, please."

"Of course!" grumbled a magnificent blind Chartreux on the right side, perched on the desk. "I do all the dirty work!"

"Now, now, Alary, don't be grumpy. I might just give you my share of salmon for lunch if you cooperate."

The feline hurried forward, allowing his master to point his wand at him.

"If you try to move," recited the teacher, "your bones will be broken!"

Immediately, the summon seemed to freeze, emitting a groan from its paralyzed mouth.

"Cancellation," Raphaël declared.

This time, Alary shook himself before returning to the desk.

"These spells don't have predefined incantations. The main thing is to have rhymes related to what you want, but they require a lot of concentration at your level, so I won't have you try them. We'll stick to the simplest ones. Now, each of you has an empty glass in front of you. Watch."

Finally, he straightened up and pointed his wand at a cup on his desk, next to his summon.

"Fill up!"

Immediately, the cup became filled with champagne. The teacher turned to his class once again.

"You see? It seems simple like that, but it really has to be a command, a real one, not just a request. And pay attention to your thoughts. Concentrate on what you want to see in your glass. If you happen to think of a cat at the last moment, it will be filled with fur."

"What should we fill it with?" Izãdo asked.

"The drink of your choice, as long as it's not alcohol. We'll have a little tasting after this."

Professor Minyar gave them an encouraging smile. All the students then took out their wands.