Chapter -1

"Seiraaan!! Your dad and I will be leaving now. Clean the house before we come back! Oh and dust the basement while you're at it"

She heard her mom's voice from downstairs followed by the sound of a door being shut. That was it, no 'take care of yourself' or 'I'll see you later' Nothing.

The sound of the closed door snapped her back to reality. The sunlight streams from the windows, bathing the room in warm light.

It's the sound of the door closing that makes her realize that her parents just left, leaving her all alone in the house. There are no instructions on when they will be back. Just a simple "Clean the house", they say. She let out an indifferent sigh.

The stillness of the house envelopes her. Time is the only company she has right now.

She plopped on her bed and adjusted comfortably in a corner, unlocking her phone to continue watching anime. Her friend had suggested it and now she's hooked.

Time went by quickly as she immersed herself in the anime. She forgot that she was now alone at home. The episodes rolled by like the hours.

A notification from her phone broke the tranquility. She opened her messaging app to check the notification. It was a message from her parents. They had just dropped a small amount of allowance and told her that they would be back soon.

There was no specified time, but she could probably guess it will be at least a few more hours. With the allowance she has, she can either buy some snacks or use it some other way. *Sigh* 'Am I a maid or what?'

The house was still quiet and eerily calm, with her being the only person there.

The journey down the basement was a slow and creaky one. The stairs groaned under her step as she descended into the darkness of the basement.

As she reached the bottom of the stairway, she found herself immersed in darkness. The only light source was from the open door behind her. The dusty air filled her nostrils, and the lingering scent of old items rushed to her lungs.

"Time to start dusting, uff"

As she swung the door open a slow creek was heard followed by the tiny steps of mice or whatever there was.

As she looked around the basement, she wondered why they asked her to clean there. No one had set foot in the basement for a long time and it showed. The dim basement is shrouded in dust, cobwebs, and old items.

Deciding that a little more light would be needed, she took out her phone, turning on the flashlight to provide more light. With the new light source, she began her cleaning task.

She scrunched her nose as she took in the loads of work she had.Her nose started iching even with a mask. She gingerly dusted the cobwebs from the shelves,carefull of the items on them.

As she was cleaning the boxes, a particular frame caught her attention. It was a picture of her and her parents smiling happily at the camera. Her mom had her in her arms while her dad held them both from behind.

It was a picture when she was three years old when they had adopted her. 'They were so happy. What happened now? Did their love fade away, when I grew up?'

Her eyes moistened and she felt her nose clogging up. She removed her mask to wipe her face but as soon as she inhaled she let out a sneeze.

As she continued her cleaning job, she was about to turn to the next shelf when her eyes noticed a small sparkle in the corner. Her attention was drawn to a corner beside another shelf where a couple of things were heaped together.