chapter-5

After taking Seiran back to her house, Sanemi and Genya were out shopping for supplies. Sanemi  was pulling the cart containing several items for their family while Genya walked alongside him, with a bundle around his neck.

They were silent throughout their journey as if in a trance..but it was cut short as Genya heard Sanemi's voice.

"Genya..."

"Huh?"

Sanemi kept his eyes on the road and continued pulling the cart. He didn't look at his little brother's questioning face as continued with a straight face.

"Let's protect our family together, you and me"

Genya was surprised but he kept quiet and looked at his brother with curiosity.

"Father got himself stabbed, and now he's dead. I feel a lot easier with him out of the picture...." Sanemi's hand tightened on the cart's handle and relaxed again as he continued.

"But without a father around..... everyone will feel lonely. So from now on... You and I... are going to protect Mom and our siblings. Got that?"

His brother's words made Genya think about his family and the smile his brother had on his face when he heard his response.... He realized, no one can come between his family's happiness again and how much he admired his older brother.

-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·-·

It was late at night as the brothers waited for their mother to come back. They had already tucked in their younger siblings to sleep but they couldn't do the same since it was well past the time their mother used to return.

"I'm going to look for mom" Sanemi said as he slowly got up from his futon.

"Oh, I'll go with you" Genya was about to get up too but was stopped by Sanemi. Since their siblings were asleep, there was no one else to look after them. So leaving their responsibility with his brother,like how they had made a promise earlier, Sanemi went out alone to search for their mother.

And as Sanemi left, one after the other, each of their siblings looked at Genya and smiled.They were just pretending to be sleeping while listening in on their brothers.

"You must be tired. Go to sleep,alright. I bet mom and big brother will be back when you wake up" All of them were worried about their mother but Genya tried to calm them down as he held their baby brother in his arms.

All of a sudden, they all heard a loud thud on the door, jolting them from their seats.

Hoping it to be their mother, all the younger kids happily ran towards the door. Even though Genya tried to stop them from opening it,he was too late. Everything happened in a matter of seconds that he couldn't even grasp it.

As the beast entered, it threw several slashes at them and a horizontal slash was seen across Genya's face.

The light was gone and Genya couldn't see anything clearly. As his eyes slowly adjusted, he saw a silhouette of someone or rather something that of a beast.

He was trembling as he felt the murderous intent behind those bloody eyes towards him. It moved at pace he couldn't even comprehend but Sanemi quickly appeared in front of him and took the beast outside with a butcher's knife in his hand.

"ANIKI!!" Genya worriedly called his brother and looked at Koto in his arms and towards his other siblings.

It was after a few seconds that he realised that all of his siblings were drenched in a pool of their own blood.