Chapter Six

Sage Gibson

Sunday was spent lounging around all day. Mom was actually off for the whole day so we played board games and watched movies the entire time. Mom helped me apply to a few places around town on our laptop. Natalie also told us the exciting story of turning the bleachers into her personal kingdom that she was the queen of. That was a nice touch to the day too.

But, Sundays always end bad no matter what. Why? Because the next day is Monday.

I hate Mondays. That means I've got to go back to school.

I'm not realy the biggest fan of school. Never have been. Focusing in class is difficult and I've never really had friends.

I mean, I have Aria now I guess. And Marc seems like he might want a friendship? Maybe I'm overthinking that.

I roll over and look at the time. Two in the morning. When did that happen? I swear it was midnight not too long ago.

I really need sleep. Too bad it doesn't like me.

I roll back over to lay on my stomach. My face gets mushed into the pillow but I don't mind. Ny eyes squeeze shut and I try to focus on my breathing.

Sleep? You out there? I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway that made you start avoiding me. Hello, sleep? Please come back.

Now I sound like an idiot in my head too.

I have problems.

Sleep doesn't come for another hour, but it doesn't feel like rest. Instead it feels like I'm falling. My body feels like it's dropping into a deep, dark abyss.

When it lands, I don't know where I am. Then, all of the sudden I do. I'm standing in the middle of the concrete court. The court from my old house. I'm standing there but nothing around it exists, it's all black.

My basketball is in my hands. When did I get that?

My body starts moving before I've even processed anything. I'm playing just like I used to. My mind starts to slow down and I feel a grin spread on my face.

I feel okay again as I start to make all my shots. There's no sound of the chain rattling either. It's just a hoop. My hoop. My court.

My home.

Natalie is there too. She's standing on the side, cheering and jumping for me like she used to when I first got into basketball.

Everything is perfect. Feels just like it used to. I'm smilng, it's wonderful.

Then suddenly I'm not at my court anymore. I'm standing at the one in the park. Natalie isn't cheering anymore, she's just standing there. I freeze and can't make myself move again.

A pain shoots from my wrist up to the top of my arm. I drop the ball. I can't move to pick it up so I just watch it as it rolls off the court, falling into the abyss.

My entire arm hurts. It stings so bad. I can't move. Suddenly I'm frozen in place.

My eyes snap open and I sit up in bed.