Chapter Thirty-One

Sage Gibson

Tuesday morning, I'm terrified of going to practice. I am already anticipating the ache in my legs from running laps.

Marc looks my way as we pull into the student parking lot. He smirks a little. "Scared?"

"He's gonna make us run." I groan loudly.

Marc chuckles. "He always makes us run."

"He's going to make us run a lot. Way more."

He just shakes his head while pulling the keys out of the ignition.

"Poor baby." Aria teases while hopping out of the back. I glare at her. She laughs. "You guys are going to be fine."

"I'm going to die." I groan dramatically, falling onto Marc. He catches me like the perfect, dreamy boyfriend he is. "I'm going to keel over and die."

"You'll be okay, baby." Marc taps my side as he hauls me down the sidewalk, holding up most of my weight because I'm dramatic.

My stomach twirls and I grin. "Oh really, baby? I will?"

He smiles too, light in a way that makes me think his stomach might he twirling too. "Yeah."

"Blegh. No pet names in front of me." Aria conplains, her nose scrunched up.

I roll my eyes with a grin. Suddenly, my anxiety is gone. I get off Marc and the three of us walk in together. The entire gym feels stuffy from tension.

"You got this." Aria grins at me, giving me a thumbs up before running away to the bleachers.

I go to the locker room and change as quickly as I can. I don't escape the tension when I get out on the court. Zayn joins me, followed shortly by Jamie and Jordan.

"Have you seen Coach yet?" Jordan glances around. I shake my head.

"He hasn't been here yet I don't think."

"That's weird."

"Maybe if he's gone today, we won't have to run so many laps." Jamie says hopefully.

"Doubt it." Marc says as he joins us. "You know we would still have to run."

"Yeah, I know." Jamie sighs, shoulders slouching.

"Don't be a baby." Ethan glares over at him with his judgemental look.

"I can be your baby." Jamie grins. Ethan's face twists up with disgust and he shoves Jamie away, who just laughs at him.

"Don't be weird."

Coach walks onto the court then and apparently he's been in his office. The tension in the air gets thicker immediately at the pissed look on his face.

He blows his whistle and everyone snaps to attention. "Everyone give me twenty laps right now. Go!"

Starting off rough immediately then, and it's clearly not a day for negotiation. Jamie doesn't even complain once as we all start running, which is telling of how scary Coach is when he's mad. I've never seen him angry before.