Chapter Seventeen

Marc Yamasaki

A loud clattering wakes me up.

I roll over, ignoring it. I know it's just the damn cats. Keeping my eyes closed, I try to go back to sleep.

Then there's a cat crawling up my chest and rubbing against my face. I know just who it is too.

My spoiled rotten brat, Yuki.

"Go away." I roll over again, burying my head in the pillow. The demand doesn't work because she just lays on the back of my head and purrs loudly. I groan.

"Can never just let me sleep." I grumble the entire time I sit up after moving her. She curls up next to my side, her white fur rubbing against my tanktop, and goes back to sleep immediately. I sigh and stretch.

My throat feels scratchy, as per usual for me after just waking up.

I hear the sound of an animal drinking and dread feels my chest. Looking over, sure enough, Fuku is drinking my water.

"Thanks." I gripe while standing. I'll just have to get new water.

Leaving my room, I shut the door behind me. I really don't need my cats running into my parents' room and causing chaos like they've done before. Looking across the hall, Aria's door is shut too. Must mean Sage is in the living room.

Except when I walk in there, he isn't. The blanket is crumpled and the pillow has a dent in it. Where's he at?

I hear footsteps before I walk in. When I flick on the light, his body comes into view. He flinches and looks over at me with wide eyes, hands on a cabinet door. He relaxes slightly when we make eye contact.

"Oh, Marc."

I take a few steps closer. "Hey, what are you doing up?"

His eyes are bloodshot. He hasn't slept a wink.

"Um, I have trouble sleeping at new places."

I nod, that makes sense. He's not telling the whole truth though and it's obvious. His eyes flick away and he scratches his wrist.

"What were you looking for?"

"Oh, just wanted a glass of water." He looks down at the floor. Embarrassed and feeling awkward.

He doesn't know where anything is here, probably not the best feeling.

"Me too, I'll get you one."

His shoulders relax more as I step past him and open the correct cabinet. I grab two plastic cups. He leans against the counter while I make us both a cup of ice cold water.

When I turn around, his eyes are shut.

"Here." I say before starting to move in his direction. It does the trick and his eyes open. He accepts it with both hands, they're shaking slightly, and takes a big gulp.

"Thanks."

"You need sleep." I say, not beating around the bush.