Chapter Twenty-Four

Sage Gibson

•○•

•○•

I groan while sitting in the passenger seat of Marc's truck. "I can't feel my legs."

Marc laughs under his breath while getting in. "Really?"

"Don't act so high and mighty. I know you're sore."

"Oh, definitely am." He nods. "I still think you're dramatic."

"Yeah, whatever. Just take me home." I sigh. I really am sore. And hungry.

I wonder if Marc's mom will make any traditional Japanese food like she packs for their lunches. I could use some of that. It always tastes amazing when Marc gives me some at lunch, which he does every day.

I really want food now.

"Need the AC turned up?" Marc's question knocks me out of my food-craving haze.

"I'm okay."

"Okay." He smiles, his arm relaxed across the center console.

"I should make you watch romcoms with me tonight just to spite you." I grumble, still being petty about sore I am from practice.

He laughs. "If you do I'll make you watch a horror movie with me."

"Oh no." I roll my eyes, a smirk making its way to my face. "As long as it isn't too graphic and we watch something cute after, I guess I won't mind."

"Really? Don't play with me, I really will make you watch one."

"As long as I get my pick afterward. And again, it isn't too graphic." I shrug. Then I have to slip in a joke so we don't get too serious, "Will you hold me if I get scared?"

He smiles. Not a smirk or anything, a genuine smile. "I'd hold you even if you weren't. Just gotta ask."

I push down the fluttering feeling in my stomach, and ignore it. Instead, I smile like I always do. "Damn, who knew you were such a romantic?"

"Me, I've been waiting for you to notice." He sends a smirk my way and that's a little harder to ignore.

"You can't stay stuff like that." I reach over and poke the side of his face. He smiles. "I'll start to think you're into me."

He hums. "I won't quit then."

I full-on short circuit at that. I try to think of a response for a minute or two before we pull into his driveway and I lose my chance. I look at Marc he parks his truck and turns it off but he just gives me a smirk.