Chapter Eleven

Sage Gibson

Tuesday morning is the worst of all the mornings since we moved. I'd just gotten to bed an hour before when my alarm goes off. I feel all disoriented the entire time I get dressed.

I start to put two pieces of bread in the toaster when I remember that Natalie is still sleeping. I did tell her I'd make her breakfast that she could warm up last night so I quickly make an egg and sausage sandwich, leaving it on the edge of the counter. Then I leave and begin the early walk to school all by myself.

It's all so very odd.

Natalie and I've had the same routine since she started school three years ago. We get ready together, I make us breakfast, and then we walk to school together. It's so weird to change that so suddenly.

Stepping outside, I let the cold air calm me down. I didn't bring a jacket, I rarely do. I only get a little chilly and that keeps my head focused on the present.

It's getting colder. All the trees look dead and the grass is colorless. The air pinches my lungs weirdly, and I don't like it but I don't really mind it either.

Everything feels lifeless right now. I can't remember if I felt this same way last year or not. I don't really care.

A cold wind slides across my face. I smile a little, bitterly. I feel empty and fresh air can't even help.

Part of me begins to worry about halfway through the walk to school. I worry if Natalie will be able to get up. My logical side knows she will be, but I can't help to feel anxious.

When I finally reach the school, I decide to just not think about it. Instead of worrying myself sick, I'll just focus on basketball. I like basketball.

I open the gymnasium doors and see two people already inside. They happen to be the gray haired boy I assume is captain, the Peterson guy, and the hot senior Ryder Florque. They look up at the sound of the door and the boy withe gray hair smiles.

Ryder wears a small smile too and they both walk towards me. When the gray haired boy reaches me, he offers me his hand. "Hey, I'm Cameron Peterson, captain of the varsity team. It's nice to meet you."

"Sage Gibson. You too." I smile and shake his hand.

"This is my co-captain, Ryder Florque." He gestures to the tall dark skinned boy next to him. I shake his hand too, feeling almost like a school girl with a crush. I guess I do have a small crush on Ryder just from his looks. That makes me sound so shallow, but he's just really attractive.

"Nice to see you." Ryder sports a cocky grin. "We don't get lots of new faces around here."

I don't really know how to respond so I just laugh lightly. The door opens behind us and I turn to look. Marc enters, and over his shoulder I can see Aria.

He sees us only a few feet in front of the door and raises his eyebrows, walking forwards to stand next to me. "What's up?"

Cameron raises his eyebrows but is sporting a wide smile. "Friend of yours, Marc?"

He doesn't reply, just looks at me. "Wanna hurry up and get changed so we can play a quick one on one?"

"Definitely." I feel my feel my grin widen as I reply. Then I'm racing off towards the locker room and can hear Marc's slow steps behind me.