Chapter Eighteen

Sage Gibson

I collapse on the ground dramatically after practice on Monday morning.

I feel gross.

My body is sticky everywhere from sweat and my hair is sticking to my neck. I hate when it does that. I can feel the curls against my skin, it's awful.

My lungs hurt and my throat burns. I need oxygen.

A plop makes me look over. Marc lays next to me, breathing heavily. He hands his water bottle over silently and I nearly choke while chugging it without lifting my head.

"Don't die on me." Marc laughs lightly when I hand it back.

"No promises." I let out a deep breath and we both laugh quietly.

"Are you good?" Jamie walks over and grins at me.

"Not at all." I let out a breath and close my eyes. "I can't feel my legs."

"Yeah that happens." He cackles, kneeling down next to me. His gaze moves over to Marc. "You good, dude?"

"Fine."

"Then why are you laying on the floor?" Ethan walks over next to Jamie and gives us his best judgemental expression.

"I'm resetting my lungs." I give him a thumbs up.

"Makes perfect sense." Jamie laughs.

Ethan shakes his head. "Get up and quit acting like idiots."

Marc sits up but I just flop an arm over my face. "Can't get up. Dying. Death."

"Come on buddy." Jamie moves my arm and then slaps the sides of my face. "Live. Don't go into the light!"

I laugh when he starts to shake my shoulders and finally get up.

"They're alive!" A shout comes from across the gym, followed by laughs. I look over and it's Jordan, Zayn, and their group. I laugh and wave at them.

"They live!" Jamie calls out to them and we all laugh.

"Welcome to the land of the living." Someone pats my shoulder. I look over to see Ryder smirk. He and Cameron walk past me.

I watch as they walk away, my mouth gawking. Jamie laughs and pats my back.

"Me too, man, me too." He walks off afterwards.

"You good?" Marc slaps my shoulder and I snap out of it.

I look at both of them and Marc's smirking at me.

"That was gross." Ethan shakes his head and walks away, but I didn't miss his amusement.

"Gay panic." I tap my heart and take a deep breath. "It's passed now."

"You're so dramatic." Marc starts walking towards the locker room too. I laugh and follow him.

"What can I say? It's fun."