Chapter Twelve

Sage Gibson

"And don't forget that after work I'm going to the mall."

"Yes, I'll remember." Mom nods. "Have a good day."

She smiles and waves as I get out of the car. I return the gesture before running towards the door of the diner. After breakfast, Mom offered to drive me to work so I got here a little early.

"Sage, perfect. Grab table three for me." Mia points towards the table in question while walking an order to a diffferent table.

I walk up to the family and smile. "Hello, I'm Sage and I'll be your waiter. What can I get you guys to drink?"

The woman smiles brightly and recites the order for everyone at the table. I scratch down there orders, give them my best customer service smile, and then walk back to the kitchen to fill their drinks. I like working here.

Drifting around from table to table, I give everyone a kind smile. I like working with people quite a bit. I get a twenty dollar tip from the same older women that were here last weekend. I guess they're regulars around here.

Mia lets out a sigh when it slows down. We both rest behind the counter. She gives me a small smile. "So Sage, tell me about yourself."

I raise my eyebrows. "Like what?"

"Like, how'd you end up with a name like Sage?"

"My mom thought it was pretty." I shrug. "She was twenty-two and just thought it was pretty. She had a plan to have all her kids have nature themed names but that didn't work out later on."

"Oh, young mom?"

I nod. "Yeah. For me anyway. She had her second child, Natalie, at thirty-two."

"Oh wow. Ten years apart?" Her eyebrows furrow. "Same dude?"

I nod. "Yeah, she didn't decide to leave him until after she got pregnant again."

Mia's eyebrows raise slightly. "Asshole?"

"Yeah." I purse my lips and nod.

Mia smiles a little. "Well, that's something we have in common." She hums quietly. "You're a good kid Sage. Be proud of yourself."

That makes me smile. "Thanks."

"Mhm." She hums before pulling out her phone. I guess that's the end of that conversation. Not that I'll complain, I'm fine with silence too.

A new customer comes in and I grab the menus to give her. She takes a seat and I walk up to the table, giving her a smile. A minute later and a guy joins her. I get their orders and business just goes up from there.

It isn't until after the lunch rush at around one twenty that my phone starts to buzz in my pocket. I pull it out to see it's Mom. If she's calling me it must be important.

"Uh, I've got to take this." I look up to Mia. She nods, waving me off. I give her a smile and race back to the office to take the call. "Mom?"

"Sage, there's an emergency at work and I've got to go in. I know you have plans but I can't take Natalie in with me. Do you think she can stay at the diner if I give her money to order something? I can't think of any other solutions, I'm so sorry."

I'm not surprised. This is inconvenient but Mom has always had to do inconvenient sudden things at work thay leave me and Natalie to deal with ourselves. I'm used to it.

"Bring her in. I'll ask Mia, and if she can't stay too long I'll let her eat and then take off early." It's a big risk considering I just got this job, but family comes first.