Chapter Seven

- Sonic's Point Of View

I'm absolutely gutted. How could I have pushed Rouge's concern off with such ease. I'm a hero, but it sure doesn't feel like it now. I should've went yesterday, right when Rouge asked. Instead I had to be snarky and completely invalidate Rouge's concern for her best friend. Rouge is going to kill me, no doubt.

I felt absolutely sicken with guilt, if something happened to Shadow it would be my fault for being so ignorant and waiting. Tails had made me wait until the morning to tell Rouge, which led to a very long, restless night. I know Tails has a point that this could be completely blown out of proportion, but I'm worried, I can't help it. Shadow has never not answered the door, no matter how much he doesn't like me, he has some sort of respect to a point. Shadow would've told Rouge if he was going to leave, he tells her everything, he has no reason to keep secrets from her (as far as I know).

I forced myself to run, even though I felt like I was on the verge of throwing up. I don't have time to let anything slow me down, I've already waited long enough, I need to get to Rouge's house. We need to find Shadow. I hope she's there, if not that's an even longer run to the Master Emerald (assuming she would be there), I'm already slow enough at running due to my extreme nausea. A goose hunt is the last thing I need right now, we're already missing Shadow.

I made it to her door and knocked on it frantically, I kept knocking until she finally opened the door. She was still in her pajamas, hair a bit of a mess with a very tired expression on her face. I guess it was six in the morning, but this was important, couldn't be delayed. I felt a little bad from obviously waking her up. 

Rouge glared at me, crossing her arms. I gulped, but I already know she's gonna act worse when I tell her Shadow wasn't home. I can only prepare for the absolute worse right?

"What on earth are you doing pounding at my door at six in the morning blue?" Rouge asked, anger rising in her voice.

"I'm really sorry, but it's important! It's about Shadow, I went to his place to check on him as promised, and he wasn't there." My voice sounded embarrassingly concerned, I shouldn't be this worried about my rival, I know he can take care of himself if worst comes to worst.

Rouge expression dropped from anger, into complete worry. "We need to break in." She says bluntly.

I blink, that wasn't something I expected to hear from her. Breaking into Shadows? If he is actually home, he's gonna chew our asses off for invading his home.

"Are you sure that's a good idea Rouge?"

"What else are we supposed to do? Sit around and wait until we are left with a corpse? If you're not going to help, fine. I rather be a hero than a wimp." Rouge huffed, about to shut the door, assuming she probably was going to change before leaving.

"Wait!" I held the door open before she could shut it. "Rouge I never said I wouldn't help, I'm worried about him too. We should go together, incase something were to happen." I refused to be referred to as a wimp.

Rouge frown turned into a grin. "Wait here, I'll get ready then we can leave." Without allowing me to respond to take back what I said, she slammed the door shut and went to get ready.

I felt nervous. I could only imagine the worst possible outcomes. I kept Tails word in mind, reminding myself that Shadow is capable of taking care of himself, he always has been. I think Rouge knows that just as well as anyone else, but I also understand her worry because I feel the same, maybe not in the same way but still, my point stands.

After a few minutes Rouge came out, she was dressed and ready to go break into Shadow's house. All I can hope for is that this will go as planned, nothing bad will happen and Shadow would be safe. Rouge didn't say much as we made our ways to Shadows, we decided to walk because it would be suspicious if a car pulled up to Shadow's house out of no where.

"He leaves a window open from his bathroom on the main floor, will enter through there." Rouge instructed as we were merging closer to Shadow's house.

I simply nod without question, Rouge is a professional spy for G.U.N. I trust her when it comes to stuff like this.

"We'll need to be as possible, not even a breath too loud. Understand?" Rouge turned towards me with a serious expression.

I take a deep breath in, trying to calm my nerves. I simply nod, too nervous at the moment to say anything, a nod is gonna be as good as it'll get. I see Shadow's house coming into view, Rouge gestures for me to follow her and I do so, we sneak around the house, to the bathroom window. She was right, it was left a crack open. I wonder how many times Rouge has broken in before?

"I'll fly in and help you up." Rouge whispered as quietly as possibly.

I nod, and watched her fly up to the window, sliding it up further before climbing in. She then reaches down from the window, I take her hands and she pulls me up. I quietly land onto the floor, making the least amount of noise as possible.

I looked through the crack of the door and noticed lights were on, I heard commotion coming from outside the shut bathroom door. This is weird, especially since the previous day no one had been home. Rouge and I turn towards each other, giving a questionable expression, neither of us had anything explanation's for this.

"I thought you said no one was here blue." Rouge whispered, making an irritable expression.

I simply shrug, I wasn't lying, no one was home yesterday. Maybe this isn't Shadow. I then hear it, Shadow's voice. Was he talking to himself? I didn't hear another voice, it was kinda weird. Why would he be asking himself what kinda toppings he'd want on his pancake. From Rouge's expression I can tell this isn't normal behavior for Shadow.

"We need to make sure it's him. Follow my lead." Rouge whisper as she grabbed my arm, slowly and as quietly as possibly she opened the knob of the bathroom door.

My heart raced. If that's Shadow, he's gonna kill us for spying on him, and If it's not Shadow...

No, it has to be.

I hope.