seven.

The ten players sat around a dimly lit circular table, their faces etched with a mix of anxiety and forced calm

The ten players sat around a dimly lit circular table, their faces etched with a mix of anxiety and forced calm. Hina found herself opposite Chishiya, his ever-present smirk a sharp contrast to the tension in the room. To her right, a girl who had been in the car with them fidgeted nervously, glancing around as though the walls might close in at any moment.

A sharp chime echoed from their phones, signaling the start of the game.

Roles Assigned: 2 Mafias, 2 Lovers, 1 Policeman, 4 Citizens, and 1 Doctor.

Hina's heart pounded as she stared down at her screen. Her eyes widened, but she kept her face as neutral as possible. In bold letters across her phone, the word MAFIA glared back at her.

Of course, she thought, biting back the rush of adrenaline that surged through her veins. Her mind flashed back to the Hide and Seek game—a different time when she'd been relieved to find herself on the "Hider" side, knowing she wouldn't have to kill anyone. This was different. This time, she was one of the predators. It's just a game, she told herself, but the stakes felt much higher. Oddly enough, there was a strange comfort in having this role. It meant control, and control was something she rarely had in this world.

Before she could dwell further on her thoughts, a voice cut through the silence.

"Let's just get this over with. Whoever the mafia is, just own up," a loud, obnoxious man said, tapping his fingers impatiently on the table. He looked around as though expecting someone to volunteer.

As if. Hina suppressed a snort. The idea of anyone willingly revealing their role was ridiculous.

"That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day," a woman in a sleek, formal dress scoffed, her sharp gaze fixed on the man. "Why would they confess and get themselves killed? Think before you speak."

The man's mouth opened in protest, but before he could argue, a low hum filled the room, and a voice spoke from unseen speakers.

Night has come. Close your eyes and lower your heads. Anyone caught cheating will be eliminated.

Hina's heart thudded in her chest as she lowered her head, her eyes fluttering shut. The silence was suffocating, broken only by the soft sound of shifting fabric as people adjusted in their seats.

Mafias, lift your heads and decide on a victim.

Hina slowly opened her eyes, lifting her head just enough to see across the table. Chishiya's eyes met hers, glinting with amusement. Of course, he was the other mafia. It was almost too perfect. They exchanged a knowing look, scanning the room for their target.

The obnoxious man who had spoken earlier caught their attention, still scowling even with his eyes closed. Hina glanced back at Chishiya, raising an eyebrow slightly. Chishiya gave the faintest of nods, his lips twitching into a smirk.