twelve.

Hina jolted awake to the insistent blare of the alarm echoing through the dim room

Hina jolted awake to the insistent blare of the alarm echoing through the dim room. The sound was a harsh reminder of the grim routine they had come to expect—a gathering to hear Hatter's speech before the night's game, a game that would claim more lives. Today, though, she felt a peculiar sense of detachment. She had taken to avoiding these speeches, blending into the back of the gallery like a shadow. No one would miss her absence, or so she hoped.

She groaned as she rolled out of bed, stretching her arms above her head. The movement eased some of the tension from her muscles, and she ambled over to her closet, her eyes scanning the meager selection of clothing. The realization struck her that she needed more options; her current wardrobe was pitifully limited. With a sigh, she chose a pair of cargo trousers, opting to wear them over her bikini bottoms, leaving just the bikini top on-a modest choice given the nature of their brutal world.

After quickly brushing her hair and braiding it into a manageable plait, she splashed cold water on her face, hoping it would jolt her awake. Feeling slightly more alert, she headed towards the designated gathering area, a growing sense of dread tightening in her chest.

As she descended the stairs, she grabbed a number slip from the small table near the entrance. Her eyes fell on the number 9 scrawled on it, a minor detail that nonetheless added to her unease. Her apprehension intensified when she saw Niragi leaning against the car, a casual menace emanating from him. His presence was a grim reminder of the dangers that lurked beyond the game's challenges.

She squared her shoulders and approached the vehicle with deliberate confidence, hoping to mask her rising anxiety. Niragi's smirk was predatory as his gaze lingered on her, a clear indication of his disdain.

"What a wonderful surprise, I was hoping to play with you soon," Niragi drawled, his eyes roving over her with a disturbing intensity. He let his tongue slide across his lips in an unsettlingly sensual manner.

"Didn't realize I had an admirer," Hina replied with a forced nonchalance, hopping into the backseat of the car.

"I wouldn't say admirer, more of a hater," Niragi shot back, settling into the passenger seat and glaring at the driver to start moving. The car was unusually empty, occupied only by Hina, Niragi, and another girl who was provocatively scantily clad and giving Niragi an adoring look. Hina felt a wave of revulsion as Niragi's hand began to wander over the girl's exposed skin.

She turned her gaze to the window, the abandoned landscape of Tokyo passing by in a blur. The sight did little to calm her nerves. After about ten minutes, the car pulled up to the game arena—a decrepit sea life attraction, the sight of which only deepened her anxiety. Swimming was not her forte, and the thought of the impending game did little to soothe her worries.

Niragi's voice slithered into her ear as he leaned close, his breath hot and unwelcome. "I can't wait to see you wet."

Hina recoiled in disgust, rubbing her ear as if to erase his touch. She mentally cursed him, hoping he wouldn't fare well in the water.