4

February 25, 2023

Charlie's POV

I woke up to my alarm at four and showered. I packed a few last items before texting my mom that I was almost ready to head to the aiport. She picked me up at five and we stopped at the gas station to get me some food before driving to the airport.

"Let me know what time your flight's supposed to get in Tuesday morning and I'll pick you up," she says as I get my suitcase from the trunk.

"I will."

"Who's picking you up?"

"Tanner. He's the only one who knows about me. We're stopping for breakfast before we head to the stadium," I tell her.

"Alright, tell him and Dalton we send our love. And we'll see them at graduation."

"I will. Love you, Mom."

"Love you, too, honey."

She hugs me and I walk into the airport. I go through security and check my bag in before grabbing coffee from Starbucks on my way to the gate. I sit near my gate and text Tanner.

Charlie: flight leaves in about 45 minutes

Tan Tan: sounds good
Tan Tan: I'll pick you up at 9:30ish to give you time to get your bag and freshen up if you need to

Charlie: sounds good

I put my phone away and we board the plane. The plane lands in Savannah around nine and I head to baggage claim. I grab my suitcase and head to the bathroom. I change into some dark wash skinny jeans and my yellow Mauldin jersey with a black shirt underneath. I apply some simple makeup and head out to the pick up lane. Tanner waves me over when he sees me and I hug him.

"Dalton's gonna freak when he sees you," he says.

"I hope he does. It's only been about a month but I've missed him."

"He is a little concerned that he hasn't gotten anything from you for your anniversary yet."

"It's in my backpack," I tell him.

We get in his Jeep after loading up my luggage and head to IHOP for breakfast.

"So, what'd you tell Dalt when you left," I ask as we sit down.

"That I was meeting a friend that was in town for breakfast."

"Not a complete lie."

He laughs and we order our food. We get to the stadium shortly before 11:30 and we saw Dalton's empty truck in the parking lot. We went into the stadium and Tanner took me to the locker room. He texted Dalton to meet him at the team store, which was where I was waiting for him.

"Tanner," I heard Dalton call out when he walked in.

"Tanner's not here," I say.

Dalton looks over and smiles widely when he sees me.

"What? What are you doing here," he asks as he spins me around.

"I wanted to surprise you for our anniversary," I say, kissing his lips.

"I just can't believe you're actually here."

I laugh and he kisses me. We walk out to the dugout where everyone is.

"So, how long are you here for?"

"I leave Tuesday morning. My classes on Monday are virtual so I figured I'd stay an extra day."

"Does Jesse know you're here?"

"Tanner asked Jesse and he said I can hang with you guys during the rehearsal and I'm gonna sit in the stands during the game."

"Awesome."

We walk onto the field and everyone looks at us. He leads me over to Jesse and I shake his hand.

"You must be Charlie. Dalton hasn't told me much but based on what he said when we were discussing you rooming with him and Tanner in Sugarland, you make him happy," he says.

"It's nice to meet you. Dalton speaks very highly of the team."

We walk over to the dugout and Dalton introduces me to everyone.

"So, not to be rude or anything, but why are we just now meeting you," Jackson asks.

"Um, I'm still in school and my schedule this year isn't that forgiving to be able to travel with Dalton," I say.

"But Dalton's been with the team three years now," Ryan says.

"We weren't sure how most people would take the age gap," Dalton says.

"Which is six years," I add.

"How long have you guys been together," EJ asks.

"Four years tomorrow," Dalton says.

"So, grad school," Donny asks.

"No, I'm getting my B.F.A. in Criminology in May."

"That's what I studied! So, you're what? 22? 23," Noah asks.

"I'm gonna be 22 in May."

They nod and start rehearsals.

"So, that's where Tanner went this morning? He was picking you up," Dalton asks.

"Yeah and we got breakfast before coming here," I say.

He kisses my head and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Go practice. I'll be here when you're done," I giggle.

He laughs and heads out to the field. I smile as he practices his trick plays.

"Hey, Charlie Jensen, right?"

I look over and see a bubbly brunette walk over.

"Yeah, that's me," I say.

"Cool! I'm Alyssa Morris, Dan Oberst's girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you. Dalton's told me a lot about the guys, but not so much about the girlfriends," I tell her.

"A bunch of us work with the team. You wanna meet them?"

"Sure."

I wave over to Dalton and point to Alyssa when he looks over. He gives me a thumbs up and I follow Alyssa. She leads me to the loading dock and two blondes look up.

"Hey, Lyss. Who's this," the one with a tatto sleeve asks.

"This is Charlie Jensen, Mauldin's girlfriend. Char, this is Heather Dalton, Vava's girlfriend, and Madison Roof, Garett Delano's girlfriend."

I wave and Madison walks over.

"Nice to meet you. Wish I could say I've heard a lot about you," she says.

"Dalton and I haven't really been public with our relationship outside of my classmates and our family and friends in Nashville," I say.

"How long have you guys been together," Heather asks.

"Tomorrow's our fourth anniversary."

"That's exciting. And I'm guessing you're still in school," Alyssa asks.

"Yeah. I'm graduating the first weekend of May and then my 22nd birthday is about two weeks later."

"That's cool," Madison says.

"I'm taking Charlie around to meet the girls. We'll see you later," Alyssa says.

We walk around the stadium and meet Baber's girlfriend, Alexis, Skole's girlfriend, Avery, Bill's girlfriend, Lexie, and Flash's girlfriend, Rylee, before heading back to the field.

"So, how are classes going for you," Alyssa asks.

"Alright. I'm just ready to graduate."

"I bet. Are you coming to any other games?"

"Obviously, Nashville. And I'll be in Texas over my spring break and back here over Easter."

"That's fun."

We look out and see the boys heading to the locker room.

"I think the guys are heading in for lunch if you wanna join them," she says.

I nod and we head to the locker room.