Brink of a breakdown

Merlin could see that Arthur was not handling things well. Not his magic as they had talked about it and after the man almost died it was the least of their worries. That Arthur could have died brought them closer than ever. But it was the death of many of the king's people but what made this really bad was the fact that Gwaine died.

It broke something in him but he stayed strong because Merlin could see that Arthur was really not doing good. Gwen could tell and he also knew that they were getting into more arguments that he had lost count by now. It was usually whenever Arthur was not taking care of his health.

Now it was even more important as she was pregnant. Yet Arthur was barely able to function and he could not blame his friend. Neither it seems Leon and Merlin had talked often with him about that. He was not even sure how to help. At least he was able now to help those with magic and how to control their gift as it was his new job as being the court warlock.

Not only this but also whenever something magic-related happened it was his job to try and find out how it happened and who caused it. That also made Merlin stressed out as he had barely had any time to talk with Arthur. It made him miss -the irony did not get missed by Merlin at this- being a manservant to the king.

Not that he was handling the death of Gwaine as bad and how many times he woke up soaked in sweat and a thundering heartbeat, was lost to him. Merlin really wanted to scream at how unfair this was and he was on his breaking point when he could feel the ill intent towards Arthur by a king and their daughter. His instinct screamed at him and it made him feel on edge. So he went with it to Arthur-

"Hey, Arthur, I think we really need to talk." His voice showed that he was hesitant yet serious about what he wanted to warn the king about.

The man paused at what he was looking at and then turned around. It was only now that he saw how bad Arthur was doing. The skin was rather pale and the bag underneath the man's eyes showed Merlin that his friend had not really well slept either.

"I can never make you knock can I?" The tone was wryly said and Merlin gave the man a chuckle.

"Ironically I did this time but after the second knock and you not answering I got too impatient and decided to enter." Merlin quipped back.

Arthur chuckled at this and shook his head. He watched as his friend started to relax but that changed when he saw that his expression turned grave.

"Remember the visitors?" He asked with a wary undertone.

"What is with King Ramond and princess Anastacia?"

Merlin really did not want to tell the man as he knew that there were a lot of things to do, but he also knew that he needed to give his friend a warning. Hopefully this time he would listen when not, then Merlin was on the ends of his rope with everything.

"I cannot explain why but my magic picked up on something." He pressed his lips together as his muscles tensed.

Arthur hummed as rubbing through his face in exhaustion. "Maybe we should sleep because you look exhausted and that could cause your magic to feel that way?"

Merlin scowled at his friend. Of course, he decided to point at his sleep deprivation. But not today. He was not going to let this continue happening. Enough is enough.

"Arthur." His voice was tense with clear frustration. "Remember whenever I told you something is not right?" He asked more rhetorically than a real question.

The man opened his mouth but the glare that was given to his king showed that he was not finished talking. Merlin also knew that he should not take it out on the man but he was fed up with him ignoring his warnings.

"The last time you ignored my warnings it ended up in a deadly situation. I am so tired of this. The fact that you think that it has anything to do with me not sleeping enough makes no sense. My magic warning me from a threat for fucks sake." He ranted and after he had finished his rant he felt tears build up.