𝟏𝟕: 𝐇𝐮𝐫𝐭

TIME SKIP

TIME SKIP

The scent of pine needles and campfire lingered in my hair, a fading reminder of the carefree weekend we'd just spent on our camping trip. It felt like a lifetime ago. Now, back in the familiar confines of my room, reality slammed into me with the force of a tidal wave. Riya. Married. To Akshat.

Just a few days ago, we were giggling around a crackling fire, sharing secrets and dreams under a star-studded sky. Now, Riya's name was synonymous with the Oberoi family, a name whispered with a mixture of awe and trepidation. News of her sudden marriage to Akshat had sent shockwaves through our town, and a knot of worry had tightened in my stomach ever since.

Sitting on the edge of my bed, the phone clutched uselessly in my hand, I replayed our last conversation. Riya's voice, usually brimming with life, had sounded strained, laced with an undercurrent of exhaustion. She'd brushed off my concern, claiming she just wanted to sleep. But sleep wasn't the only thing I worried about.

Riya's family history was no secret. Whispers about shady dealings and dangerous entanglements had always followed them like a shadow. Now, with her sudden marriage into the Oberoi household, those whispers had morphed into a deafening roar. Danger, it seemed, was no longer a distant rumour, but a looming presence.

The Oberois, of course, were a force to be reckoned with. Their power and influence were undeniable. But could even they shield Riya from the consequences of her family's past? A cold shiver ran down my spine. Mafia. The word hung heavy in the air, unspoken but omnipresent. Power, protection, and threat – a tangled web that Riya seemed to be caught in.

Adding to my growing unease was Akshat's silence. Ever since the wedding, a chilling distance had settled between him and Riya. The man who usually doted on her, his eyes reflecting a love as fierce as the Oberoi name, now seemed withdrawn, his presence a constant reminder of the storm brewing beneath the surface. Riya craved his attention, his support, but he seemed oblivious, lost in his own world. Frustration bubbled up within me. I wanted to scream at him, shake him out of his stoicism, make him see the fear clouding Riya's eyes.

"This isn't right," I whispered, the words echoing the despair in my heart. Riya, my best friend, had stumbled into a labyrinth with no map and no escape. The weight of her situation pressed down on me, a suffocating cloak that threatened to steal my breath.

But amidst the swirling vortex of fear and uncertainty, a sliver of determination sparked within me. I wouldn't abandon Riya. I would be her rock, her confidante, a steady presence in this storm. I would be her listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, and a gentle nudge if needed, to remind Akshat of his responsibility towards his wife.

Tomorrow, Riya would face her first rasoi, a traditional ceremony for a new bride. I would ensure everything went smoothly, a small act of normalcy amidst the chaos. Yet, another worry gnawed at me – Kabir Ji's absence. He hadn't returned from his trip, and his phone remained stubbornly switched off. It was almost 3 PM, and the silence stretched on, adding another layer of unease to this already tumultuous day.