𝟐𝟗: 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠

My voice dropped to a low growl

My voice dropped to a low growl. "Did you take a tumble, or did those thugs use your head for a punching bag?"

She shot me a glare that could curdle milk. "Shut up," she spat.

"Look," she started, trying to control the tremor in my voice, "this creepy basement isn't exactly helping your case. Maybe we could talk somewhere... less dungeon-y? And while we're at it, what's your ransom price? A million? No, a billion? You seem like you have expensive taste." 

My gaze lingered on her, a strange magnetism pulling me in despite the unsettling situation. "Weird," I muttered under my breath.

"Who the hell are you?" I demanded, my voice hardening. "Where's Aisha?" The playful banter was over. This was serious.

A manic glint entered her eyes. "Are you guys suffering from memory loss? I already told you, I'm Roop! Roop! Get it tattooed on your forehead if you have to!" She flopped back into the chair, a mocking smile twisting her lips.

"Don't play dumb," I growled, a dangerous edge creeping into my voice. "You did something to Aisha, stole her face maybe? Now you'd better tell me where she is, or things will get very unpleasant for you."

"Oh, and what exactly are you going to do, Mr. Malhotra?" she purred, her voice dripping with flirtation. "Punish me?"

Suddenly, her eyes locked onto mine, and the playful facade vanished. At that moment, a steely glint replaced the manic energy. "Bring it on," she challenged a low rumble in her voice.

This woman was a walking enigma. Every word she spoke was a puzzle piece, and I was determined to solve it. No matter how deep the rabbit hole went, I wouldn't stop until I found Aisha.

 No matter how deep the rabbit hole went, I wouldn't stop until I found Aisha

I returned, leaving behind the enigma for Karthik to unravel. There was no time to dwell on it, for she wasn't my Aisha, and that truth was all that held significance. Despite any semblance she may bear, she remained a stranger to my heart.

Jaan, today I exacted vengeance upon your tormentors. I delivered retribution upon Malishka, and yet, the revelation of my own aunt's involvement in her sinister machinations inflicted wounds deeper than any physical blow. The ache of betrayal gnaws at my soul. Where are you, my love? Come back to me, weary am I of scouring every street corner, exhausted by this relentless pursuit. Return to my arms, grant me one chance, and I shall move mountains to right all wrongs.

Ring, ring.

"Hello," I answered, the urgency palpable in my voice.

"Kabir, I need to talk to you."

"Of course, just tell me where, and I will come," I replied, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Come to your penthouse, the one on the outskirts of the city."

"How do you know?" I questioned, confusion clouding my mind.

"Just come. I will explain," came the cryptic response.

Something was amiss.

Something crucial eluded me.

I got in my car, the engine rumbling to life as I started my journey to the penthouse, tucked away forty-five kilometres from the busy heart of the city. This place was like a secret hideout, where we never brought Aisha. So how in the world did someone find out about it? Only Akshat and I knew where it was, and we were always careful to keep it under wraps. This intrusion had me seriously worried.

When I arrived at the penthouse, tucked into a dark alley, the dusk greeted me with an eerie embrace. The dense forest had cloaked the building in darkness, making it nearly invisible to anyone passing by. From the outside, it looked abandoned and spooky, but inside, it was anything but. We'd decked it out with everything we needed, and only a select few knew its secrets. Those who did kept their mouths shut, knowing the consequences of blabbing. As I stepped inside, the urgency of the call weighed heavily on my mind.

"Kabir," she called out, her voice breaking through the silence.

"Reekshita Maa," I acknowledged, my mind awash with questions.

Before me stood an unexpected messenger of truths, stirring a storm of emotions within. How did she find out about this place? Why did she call me here? Was she the one who knew where Aisha was, or was she caught up in the same mess of lies and deceit as everyone else? Uncertainty gripped me as I searched for answers in her eyes.

It finally dawned on me that she, too, had vanished right after Aisha disappeared. I never had the chance to apologize or even attempt to seek Aisha through her. But in the frenzy of searching for Aisha, I had overlooked this crucial realization. Regret washed over me like a tidal wave as I grappled with the weight of missed opportunities and the relentless ache of uncertainty.

"I understand your thoughts, but now is not the time for speculation. I know Aisha has left you, and I also know why. She remains unaware of your motives. I only learned of this yesterday, which is why I asked to meet you. Initially, I believed you had betrayed her. But now, you must find her."

Her words struck a chord within me, laden with urgency and import. My heart skipped a beat at her revelation.

"Do you know where she is?" I implored, desperation seeping into my voice.

"Yes," she replied.

Finally, a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness.

"She's in Banaras."

"How..." I began, but she cut me off with a plea.

"Please, do not waste time with questions. You must go to her, bring her back, before...before it's too late."

"What do you mean? What dangers await her?" I demanded, my voice trembling with fear and apprehension.

"She holds the answers. Go, Kabir. Bring her back."

Without another word, I turned and stormed out into the night. There was no time for farewells or explanations. At that moment, all that mattered was Aisha. I am coming, my love. To get you.

--

I arrived in Banaras, the weight of desperation heavy upon my shoulders. Every street corner held a whispered promise of her presence, and after countless attempts—bribes, threats, and acts of desperation—I finally uncovered her whereabouts.

And there she was, amidst a sea of vibrant blooms, her essence illuminating the dreary surroundings. My dandelion, delicate yet resilient, adorned in the simple beauty of her existence.

Approaching her felt like traversing a battlefield of emotions, my heart laid bare before her gaze. I drank in her presence, afraid that even the blink of an eye might snatch her away from me once more.

Then, our eyes met.

In that fleeting moment, her laughter faded, replaced by a recognition that mirrored my longing. She was my Aisha, my Jaan, and a flicker of hope ignited within me in that realisation.

As she drew nearer, I braced myself for the onslaught of emotions—anger, resentment, or perhaps even forgiveness—anything, as long as it brought her closer to me, if only for a moment.

Clutching her bracelet, a tangible reminder of our shared past, I awaited her verdict. But as she passed by, her gaze averted, I felt the sting of rejection pierce through me.

She ignored me.

And in that solitary act, my world shattered anew, fragments of hope scattering like petals in the wind.