Four - A Restart

5 months before the main event

Wednesday
3/7/24     //      7/3/24

Valentina pov
6:59 pm

"Hello?" The voice on the other line says. I stare at Astral and she gives me a thumbs up. I give a weary smile.

"Hello, sir," I reply, looking at my phone.

"Oh! Hello Valentina, what can I do for you? If you need an extension on the project I am sorry but that is just not possible."

"Oh no, that is not what I am calling for."

"Oh thank god." He chuckles. This dude has always somehow found a way to give me the ick. Even his laugh. "So what do I owe the pleasure of?" He says. Is that even right? Not sure.

"I am putting in my week's notice," I say bluntly.

"Pardon?" He says. I cringe. Is it really  that surprising? I put on my best professional mask.

"I am giving you my week's notice."

"Did you find a job that pays better?"

"You could say that."

"Val please, let us increase your salary! You are our best employee." I gag.

"Sir please do not call me Val, I have asked you before. It makes me uncomfortable," He makes a tsk sound. "But no, I will not be staying. I have found a job that I think I will enjoy a lot more. Thank you for your time sir, I will see you tomorrow." I hang up and let out a sigh of relief. Astral gives me a round of applause and opens his arms. I collapse into them, sighing. I look at the jar on the counter that is filled with money for the building.

"Your turn." I get up and smirk. She opens her phone and starts typing in a number.

"You're acting like I am also quitting. I already told the owner of the salon that I was going to change to part-time instead of full-time." I nod. They press the call button and it starts ringing.

"Hello?" The voice on the other side says. (🤯)

"Greetings. I was wondering if the building on Melody Street is still available for rent?" Astral asks, crossing her fingers and scrunching their face in a smile.

"Yes, it is. Are you looking to rent it out?" Astral shakes his head and I stifle a giggle.

"Yeah, I am."

"Great! Please meet us at our office on 152 Main Street with your payment method next week and we can make the place yours!" The person says. We smile and high-five, beaming.

"Alright, thank you so much! Have an amazing day!" Astral says back, smiling so brightly.

"You too!" Astral hangs up and we jump us and do a spin hug, falling on the floor in a giggling mess.

-------------------------------------

TIME SKIP

11/7/24 // 7/11/24
(oops that's my brother's birthday)
Thursday
1:37 pm

-------------------------------------

We walk up the the address and Astral rings the commercial doorbell. I pat the money in my purse, making sure it is still there. It is in fact, still there since I last checked a minute ago. The door opens and we walk inside the front desk. 

"Hello, what can I do for you two?" An older woman asks, seemingly the girl from the phone call. 

"Hi! We called a week ago about getting the place on Melody?" Astral says confidentially.

"Oh yes! Do you have the money?" Astral nods in response. "How will that be paid?"

"Cash." Astral replies and I take out the money in my bag, I believe it is  £1000, which should be enough.

"Alright! The total will be seven hundred and five pounds, and your monthly rate on the building will be fifty pounds." She takes the money and then hands us the change back. She bends down under the desk in her chair and grabs keys, handing them to us.

"Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day!" Astral says, smiling as we walk out. Once we exit, we hold each other's hands and jump up and down, squealing.

I have never been more fucking excited in my life. 

636 words