Two - A New Chapter

still 11 months before main events

Thursday
27/7/23 // 7/27/23

Valentina pov
5 pm

"So let me get this straight. You walked into a pet store. And there was a kitten that was out and they let you touch. You then stuffed  the kitten  into your bag and ran out of the fucking store??" I stare at Astral, my best friend since childhood. I'm not shocked but I didn't expect him actually to have the balls to do it.

"yeah. Then I got him into my carry-on and flew on with the little guy!! Isn't he so cute??"

"Ast. The American authorities, your authorities, came to my  door to look for you. You're lucky I covered for you." I sigh, watching the little black kitten in Astral's hand.

"Wait. That means. Do you think they'll be looking for me?" They ask.

"Yeah." We both nod.

"Hair Dye time." We say in unison. We leave the kitten with some food in the bathroom, a safe and confined space. We head out and go to the shops for hair dye.

-------------------------------------

"Never letting you dye my hair again." Astral says, sighing. We turned her brunette hair a nice blonde color with galaxy layers underneath.

"Well, I  think it looks pretty fuckin awesome."

"Yeah, because you're  not a hairdresser. for the right reasons." I slap her with the bottle and we both giggle.

"For a non-hairdresser?" 

"Pretty good." She giggles and plays around with their fluffy hair. Silence fills the room and I lean forward on my hand onto the chair from behind her.

"Astral. You still haven't answered my question." I pause, sighing. 'Why are you really here?" I look at him in the mirror and we make eye contact before they advert her gaze.

"Besides the cat?"

"Besides the cat." I answer. He sighs.

"My landlord kicked me out. I wasn't even behind on rent! They just wanted the apartment to sell to "more deserving people"" Astral uses air quotes and I scoff.

"Seriously?" I ask, looking at them worried.

"Yeah." She nods, meeting my eyes again. "and you know how my relationship is with my parents." I let out another scoff. Kicked Astral out because she was a lesbian. They had nowhere to go because by then, his parents already moved the family to America. We were 17 at the time.

"Astral. Are you here because you spontaneously booked a one-way ticket to Brighton knowing that you would "accidentally" run into me after I finished my 9-5?" I ask. She nods, sighing.

"Hit the nail on the head, V."

"I had a feeling." I smile but it falters. "Listen, A-"

"Val, can I live here?" She cuts me off. I hesitate but nod.

"Of course. You'll need to pay me rent though." I joke. Not really, but you know.

"Oh yeah obviously." They smile and I smile back. A new chapter. A much, much needed one.

458 words
they get much longer than this I promise.