Nineteen - Dinner

Sunday
9/2/25 // 2/9/25

((This chapter also contains the mention of bulimia. I am very sorry, I like writing angst. It is also sort of brief, not like the last chapter.))

Valentina pov
7:29 pm

We just finished a show an hour ago and are now out at dinner as a band. We're at a Mexican restaurant and I ordered a bean burrito. It's one of my safe foods.

The others are talking and taking bites of their food, while I am silent, taking slow bites of the burrito. James is sitting next to me and is holding my hand, squeezing it every once in a while to reassure me.

"Hey," He whispers and my head turns to face him. "I'm proud of you." He smiles and I weakly smile back. I've finished half of my burrito by now. I'm taking it slow because I feel like if I eat it super fast, I will feel too guilty later.

"Thanks." I look back at my food and take another small bite. I feel small right now. I haven't purged in a few days. Purging is easy. I binge, I feel good. I get rid of it, I feel even better. It's hard to live with the cycle for years to just decide not to one day. James has been distracting me though. I am heavily thankful for it.

"Val?" Jono snaps me out of my trance and I look up.

"Yeah?" I raise my eyebrow.

"You down?"

"For what?

"After the show on Friday, 15 minutes from the venue is this glass light kind of park thing. It's like an art display and it's the 30th anniversary so there will be fireworks."

"Oh yeah, that sounds so fun!" I smile

"Alright!" 

I look around and everyone has finished their food. I start to get worried that they're waiting for me. I start taking more bites, faster and faster.

"Hey," James whispers and my head turns to his. "You can go slow. We have all night." Is he reading my mind?

"You sure?" I whisper back and he nods. Our hands are still intertwined and every time I remember, I get a bit of color in my face. I turn my head back to my food and take a bite.

"Can I have a bite?" He asks and I nod. He grabs the burrito and takes a big bite and I am honestly grateful. Less on my plate. Quite literally.

I take more bites and eventually finish.

"Is everything alright?" The waiter asks.

"Yeah, we'll have the check, please. " James says, smiling.

"I'll have the burrito on a separate bill," I say and the waiter nods.

"No, she won't. We're using the business card." The waiter raises his eyebrow at me. I sigh in defeat and shrug my shoulders. I'm way too tired to fight right now. The high from the food is falling and my eyes scan for the bathroom. James must sense this because he squeezes my hand.

The conversation in the band continues as I scroll on my phone, cutting in occasionally. James watches over my shoulder, also silent most of the time. The waiter comes and James takes out the card and signs the bill, handing it back to the waiter.

Eventually, the waiter comes back and hands James the card back, and we all get up to leave. We walk out of the door and get onto the tour bus, going to the rooms. I walk into the bathroom and wash my hands. I stare at myself to make myself not look at the toilet. It is not an easy task. I left the door open and in the mirror, I see James. I raise my eyebrow.

"I want to wash my hands too." I step aside when I finish and let him in. When he finishes, he leaves and I follow, turning off the light on my way out.

"I'm tired." I yawn.

"Damn, it's only eight." I nod, grab my clothes and begin to go to the bathroom, but he stops me.

"I have to use the bathroom, you can change in here." I can see right through him. If he thinks he's being sneaky, he is failing. I narrow my eyes but give in.

"Fine." I sigh. He walks out and closes the door, and I lock it. I quickly get changed and unlock the door. I lay on the bed and started scrolling through TikTok. James knocks on the door lightly.

"Come in," I sigh, putting my phone on the charger. He opens the door and I get under the covers, letting my tired state take over. He lays down under the blankets as well as I slowly drift off to sleep. (pretend he went to the bathroom to change as well. Spare me I am tired.)

775 words
i must have been exhausted writing this chapter wtaf was i on