Fourteen - Acceptance (slightly)

Wednesday
5/2/25 // 2/5/25

Niki pov
9:13 pm

"Hey, Ast come here," I yell from across the room to Astral. They raise their eyebrow and start walking over. "Tea" Her eyebrow raises more, speeding up more. "About your best friend." He runs over to me and I show the texts I'm getting from James.

"OH MY GOD!! I KNEW IT!!"

"Don't tell Val, I think this needs to be our little secret."

"It's going to be so annoying them separately talking to us about each other."

"Oh yeah, one hundred percent."

james pov
9:20 pm

I knock on the door and wait for an answer.

"Come in!" Val says and I open the door.

"Hey," I say, not looking at her as I get my pyjamas and go to the bathroom to get changed.

I walk back in and sit on the bed. I'm silent as Val scrolls on her phone.

"You excited for the show tomorrow?" Val asks, not looking away from her phone.

"mhm."

"The venue is a pretty large one, are you nervous?"

"I don't know." Val raises her eyebrow and looks at me from the side of her eye.

"I invited the barista from the coffee shop on the guest list. Hope you don't mind?"

"I don't care."

"Are you feeling alright Jim?"

"W- yes, I am." I put my phone down and lay on my side a bit more aggressively than I wanted to.

"Are you sure? You can always talk to m-"

"YES, I AM." I yell and immediately regret it. "Just. tired."  I mumble, closing my eyes. Val is silent and my heart breaks. Why did I just do that?

It sounds like Val has stopped scrolling, and then put her phone on the nightstand. I close my eyes tighter, trying to sleep. I can't deal with reality right now, why won't my dreams take me away??

Turns out, you sleep better when you're comfortable. No wonder I fell asleep so easily last night. But tonight I'm tense and upset. I have no right to be upset. Why am I acting like the world revolves around me? She can have a love life. I'm not mad. I can't control that shit. I won't control that shit.

What was Niki talking about? Do I like her? I'm sure friends care about their friends this much. You know, like, worried that they will get with a guy that doesn't deserve them. Right..? I've known her for like, barley 2 months. I sound so pathetic, it's wild.

I sigh and grab my phone and open text messages. I don't know who to text, I need to tell someone. I need someone to talk to.

TEXTING WITH MATT

matt help me
read 9:42 pm

what did you do this time
read 9:42 pm

i think i might like val
read 9:42 pm

you are just now figuring it out?
read 9:44 pm

huh?
read 9:44 pm

nothing
read 9:44 pm

GETTTOGETHERNOWSTUPIDCUNTBDHHDSUVG
read 9:45 pm

that was jago please ignore that. We have a reservation
at a restaurant after the show, are you coming?  
read 9:46 pm

uh yeah i guess
read 9:46 pm

Why are they acting so weird?? They're no help. I turn off my phone and lay in silence, the only noise being Val's soft snores. I turn my phone back on and go to text Niki.

TEXTING WITH NIKI

so what if I do?
read 9:49 pm

if you like Val?
read 9:49 pm

yeah.
read 9:49 pm

did you hear anything else besides that this
'mysterious' guy smells good?
read 9:49 pm

mhm.
she said "he is so rahh" and that his hands are
warm. I left after that. I felt bad.
read 9:50 pm

did you hear anything else?
read 9:51 pm

as i was walking away I did hear something
about the way he s? i only heard the s. sighs?
ssss? i don't know
read 9:53 pm

alright.
read 9:53 pm

wait where are you?
read 9:55 pm

i am at my partner's house, why?
read 9:56 pm

did you hear anything from the call?
read 9:56 pm

i heard a little bit
read 9:58 pm

what did you hear?? can you tell me who it was??
read 9:59 pm

idk, you might want to think about what other words
start with s.
read 10:01 pm

672 words
bro needs to stop leaving Niki on read i swear to god