Outrage

"No!"

"Clotted Cream Cookie, you must understand–"

"No, Father, I will not wed Financier Cookie! She is my bodyguard and my friend and nothing more!"

Custard Cookie was growing angry with his young burden after trying to explain how it would benefit the house. "Financier Cookie had already agreed to the proposal. She seems to share quite the fondness of you, Clotted Cream Cookie."

"I don't care!" The blond child screamed back. "You won't make me marry someone I don't love! It isn't fair!"

"No one marries someone they love, ignorant brat!" Custard Cookie shot. "Cookies brought up from love are flourless and stale. A hard home and a disciplined childhood rears individuals like the Convocation. Don't you want to be like us?"

"No!"

"Oh for Witches' sake," Custard Cookie approached his charge angrily, no longer tolerating such behavior. He grabbed the young boy by the cheek, forcing him to look at him and stop his tantrum. "Do you want to know exactly what will happen if you do not agree to marry Financier Cookie?"

Clotted Cream Cookie shook his head. "We won't be powerful anymore?"

Custard Cookie chuckled, laughter filled with venom. "No, you clueless child. I will let it be known across the Republic that Royal Milk Tea Cookie is not a Cookie of the sea at all. In fact, he isn't even a Cookie of the Republic!"

"What?"

"Royal Milk Tea Cookie was orphaned, similar to you, dropped off at House Oyster in hopes that he would become something more than a forgettable Cookie of the Dark Cacao Kingdom," The elder spat. "He is nothing and he will once more be nothing if you do not agree to this arrangement. Do you understand me?"

Clotted Cream Cookie's mouth had fallen, shocked and appalled at the new information he had just been given. He didn't care that Royal Milk Tea Cookie wasn't from the Republic, but he didn't want that knowledge to get out. Sure, he didn't care, but he knew everyone else would. The young Cookie took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he replied to his father's threats.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay, I'll marry Financier Cookie."