Chapter Seven

The table was covered in luxurious treats– jelly steaks and loaves of bread, plenty for everyone to dine on. Royal Milk Tea Cookie felt his mouth water as he began to fill his plate.

"We are eternally grateful for your hospitality, Your Majesty," Financier Cookie announced from her seat at the table. She was still avoiding speaking to Royal Milk Tea Cookie after their discussion while approaching the fortress.

"I'm sure House Oyster would be more than happy to lend a Pearl Legion ship to your kingdom, Dark Cacao Cookie," Captain Caviar Cookie offered, attempting to show his gratitude through material matters while Financier Cookie performed it vocally. "The new technology allows free travel throughout the Licorice Sea! Though, Royal Milk Tea Cookie's tough powers saved us from an untimely demise as well."

The king froze, knife and fork clattering against his plate. "Powers, you say?"

Confused at the change in mood, Royal Milk Tea Cookie simply nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty. A large monster made of licorice attempted to attack us– it stole me from my cabin, actually– and somehow I was able to control the beast. The licorice actually began to orbit me. It's still here!" Royal Milk Tea Cookie set down his silverware and motioned toward the small pearls circling his chair, laughing a bit in amusement. The reality of the encounter did sound a bit unbelievable.

Several guards stepped forward, only just noticing the orbiting spheres around their guest. Dark Cacao Cookie's face was unreadable, and Royal Milk Tea Cookie could only hope it wasn't because of anything bad.

"You claim you can control the Licorice Beast?" The king rephrased, clarifying.

"Um, yes. I do believe that is what happened," Royal Milk Tea Cookie agreed.

Dark Cacao Stood up out of his seat, motioning for Royal Milk Tea Cookie to do the same. "My esteemed guests," He began. "I must depart for the remainder of dinner. Please continue to enjoy your meals without me. My guards will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Milk Tea Cookie, please, come with me."

Beginning a brisk walk from the table toward a hall behind the throne, the Crème Republic's ambassador quickly ran forward to keep up with the much larger Cookie as they departed from the dining hall.

"What's wrong, your majesty? What's wrong with my power?" Royal Milk Tea Cookie insisted, continuing to follow his host with a brisk pace. He cursed his short stature as he struggled to keep up. Dark Cacao Cookie opened a door with a key that had been hanging around his neck, allowing Royal Milk Tea Cookie to enter and take notice of rows and rows of portraits lining the hidden hallway. "I didn't even know I had it in me, actually. I've never been in combat before, nor have I ever fought a beast like the one we encountered!"

"Royal Milk Tea Cookie," The king began, ending Royal Milk Tea Cookie's ramblings and walking toward the portrait at the end of the hall. He wasn't using his given name, for some reason. "Do you know how the Five Ancient Heroes came to be?" Royal Milk Tea Cookie simply shook his head. The portrait above the pair looked to be of a small family, with a cream and brown Cookie in the middle, a chocolate Cookie on his right, a vanilla Cookie on his left, and each woman holding a small child.

"There is a collection of Cookies simply referred to as The Fallen Heroes. They are the original holders of the Soul Jams, representing different elements of Earthbread. The most accepted story of how we Ancient Heroes all came to be is that we were simply baked with Soul Jam in our dough, and while this is somewhat true, this is not the full story.

"There is a legend that some greater power has baked all of us Cookies, and in that process, the creator baked an original set of five Cookies, made with the purpose of creating and protecting Earthbread. Unfortunately, all good must have its bad, and these original heroes descended into evil, taking on the new name of the Five Beasts," Dark Cacao Cookie shifted to a portrait of five monster-looking characters. "This Cookie here, Mystic Flour Cookie, lost his Soul Jam in the end and it split."