Chapter Sixteen

Royal Milk Tea Cookie trudged forward, his legs felt like cement blocks. He had agreed to his fate, sure, but he still didn't like it. The dragon lowered its head.

"YOUR SACRIFICE IS RECOGNIZED, YOUNG COOKIE. YOUR DEATH WILL BRING FORTUNE FOR THOUSANDS AFTER YOU."

"Don't patronize me," Royal Milk Tea Cookie snapped, tired of the exchanges. "You're taking my Soul Stones in place of my mother's.

The dragon snorted, steam expressing from his nostrils. "UNDERSTOOD."

"What do I have to do, exactly?" Royal Milk Tea Cookie squinted as he looked up at the creature.

"STAND STILL. I WILL ABSORB YOUR POWER MYSELF. THERE WILL BE NO PAIN."

Royal Milk Tea Cookie took a deep breath and nodded, silently thanking the universe for the painlessness. A painful death would have been unpleasant for everyone. His friends watching him writhe in pain in his final moments? Absolutely not.

"Okay. Then I'm ready."

The dragon lowered its head and opened its mouth, almost unhinging its jaw with how wide the thing opened. The pink cavern made Royal Milk Tea Cookie's stomach drop, once more aware of his fate. He shut his eyes tight and pressed his hands together, pulling them to his chest, praying to a higher being that everyone would be fine with him gone.

A bright light began to glow from the dragon's throat, shining through Royal Milk Tea Cookie's eyelids. He squeezed his eyes shut tighter. It'll be over soon, it'll be over soon... He tried to remove himself from reality. He imaged Clotted Cream Cookie holding his hand and guiding him into the light. He could only see white when he eventually opened his eyes, tired of the sight never changing. He felt consciousness slipping from him and Royal Milk Tea Cookie could swear he saw something purple pull away from his being.

"Stop!" A voice finally called. A savior in the white nothingness, pulling Royal Milk Tea Cookie from his demise.

"THE DEED IS IN MOTION," The dragon spoke, the white light never dimming. "WHAT CAN YOU POSSIBLE OFFER ME, SENSELESS KNIGHT?"

Tea Knight Cookie was the one speaking. Royal Milk Tea Cookie silently cursed him, angered that the last words he'd hear came from a Cookie that gave him up.

"Myself!" The white-haired paladin cried. "I offer myself, please! Stop!" He was panicked. This was unexpected.

The white light ceased, Royal Milk Tea Cookie dropped to the ground with a dull thud, and felt nausea immediately overtake him.

"Royal Milk Tea Cookie!" He couldn't place the voice. It didn't matter, as long as they'd comfort him as dinner exited him in waves. The blue-clad Cookie felt his head begin to ache like it never had before, his stomach never ceasing.

"BRAVE," The dragon remarked. "NEXT OF KIN IS WHAT I ACCEPT IF THE ORIGINAL WISHER IS NOT PRESENT. I HAVE NEVER TAKEN A... SPOUSE."

Tea Knight Cookie shrugged, "I've lived a full life. Let me say farewell, beast."

The dragon nodded, almost knowing with the squint it gave the grown soldier. "I WILL TAKE YOU AS AN OFFERING. ONE LESS KNIGHT ROAMING EARTHBREAD MAKES THINGS LESS STRESSFUL FOR MYSELF," The comment wasn't ill-mannered but it didn't feel right. Still, there was no escaping the final deal that was being made.

Royal Milk Tea Cookie had regained himself finally, head lolling as he tried to focus on what was sitting before him. He was leaning back on a warm body with firm hands gripping his shoulders– Financier Cookie. Kind hands pressed on either side of his face, directing his eyes toward gorgeous green eyes.