Chapter Eighteen

"Royal Milk Tea Cookie!" A servant called, paper and quill in their hand as they approached the prince. "Royal Milk Tea Cookie, the commoners in the lower city have requested funds be distributed toward the library you've signed off on."

"Are funds not already being distributed to the building?" Blue eyes narrowed in confusion. "I delegated plenty for the building to be constructed as well as books to be loaned."

The servant fumbled for words, "The citizens are unhappy with the amount and they wish for a greater loan so they may build the library to their standards," The paper and quill were pushed further toward the Oyster heir.

"Up to their standards?" He scoffed. "I will not sign these things without a proper discussion," Royal Milk Tea Cookie adjusted his cape, brushing off a speck of dust he'd noticed. "Tell the citizens of the lower city that I am always open for a meeting to be arranged. That is all, good day." He dismissed the servant with a wave of his hand as he approached his office, slumping into his seat at his desk.

It had been about a week since his arrival back in the Crème Republic and Royal Milk Tea Cookie hadn't had a moment of rest.

The first night was calm, he would admit to that. Oyster Cookie had sobbed openly when she learned how close to death her son had come, thankful for the knight she once met who had sacrificed himself in Royal Milk Tea Cookie's place. Composing herself, Oyster Cookie had hosted a small feast for the travelers, celebrating the long-awaited romance between her son and Clotted Cream Cookie.

"Do you wish to spend the night, Consul?" Oyster Cookie had offered as the guests bid goodnight, exiting Oyster Manor and returning home.

"I would be honored to stay, venerable elder Oyster Cookie," Clotted Cream Cookie had bowed his head only to be met with a scoff.

"Please, child," Oyster Cookie shrugged her shoulders, adjusting the shawl she wore. "Formal conversation is no longer necessary. You're courting my son!"

After the first night, where the couple had happily slept in Oyster Manor, work was quickly dropped in Royal Milk Tea Cookies's lap, bringing him back to the reality of the position he had been appointed before his departure.

"Has Sablé Cookie filed the documents detailing the memorial to be delivered to Parfaedia?" Royal Milk Tea Cookie called out to no one in particular, sure a staff member would hear his question.

"Yes, Ambassador!" A short Cookie rushed into the office, a stack of papers in her hands. "She wanted to edit the terms, though, with the Republic owning the original and delivering a copy to the magic city."

Royal Milk Tea Cookie pressed a gloved hand to his cheek, rubbing it in exhaustion. The young elder was always so greedy about her creativity. "Fine, I can change the terms. Hand them over," He reached for the stack of papers and dismissed the staff member, beginning the tumultuous task of filling it all out, and adding in the new clause.

There was a knock on the marble doorframe and Royal Milk Tea Cookie groaned. He didn't look up as he delivered a response, "I will not allow Sablé Cookie to keep the memorial here exclusively. I promised Espresso Cookie he would have something to remember Tea Knight Cookie!"

"She's really pressuring you about this, hm?" A buttery voice sounded from the doorway. Royal Milk Tea Cookie sighed in relief.

"She wasn't happy when I compared her architecture to that of the Hollyberry Kingdom," Royal Milk Tea Cookie explained. "I think this is her way of getting back at me."

Clotted Cream Cookie chuckled lightly, walking further into the office and approaching the desk, papers scattered all across it. "You'll be happy to know I'm actually here to relieve you of your duties," He reached a hand out and pulled the quill out of the ambassador's gloved hand.