Admiration

"You can stop following me around, Financier Cookie," the young blond Cookie called, bored. "It's no fun playing hide-and-seek when all you do is guard me to make sure I don't get kidnapped. Then you know exactly where I am!"

The brunette exited the bushes, standing above the young Consul. "I apologize, Clotted Cream Cookie, but it's my job as your bodyguard to always protect you, no matter the scenario."

"Yeah, but you're not my bodyguard anymore, are you?" Clotted Cream Cookie bit, curling in on himself from where he sat beneath the bush. "We're engaged, remember? We'll be husband and wife one day."

It had been about a month since Clotted Cream Cookie and Financier Cookie had last seen Royal Milk Tea Cookie. Anytime Oyster Cookie was brought up in conversation, most of the elders would simply change the topic to avoid any conflict from Custard Cookie or Mille-feuille Cookie.

Clotted Cream Cookie hadn't been happy with his father's insistence on the marriage, but he didn't want anything to happen to Royal Milk Tea Cookie if he had said no. He still didn't believe his father was telling the truth, but he'd never risk his best friend's safety.

With the young Consul's mention of marriage, Financier Cookie felt her heart swell. Mille-feuille Cookie had pushed her to say yes, of course, but she had been admiring Clotted Cream Cookie from a distance for ages. His professional appearance, his high-ranking status, the way with which he carried himself... it was all so official, and Financier Cookie adored it. She knew the pair would grow to be a powerful couple, filled with love for their subjects within the Republic.

"Yes, I know we're engaged, Consul," Financier Cookie spoke softly, "But that doesn't mean I won't still care for your wellbeing. I was tasked with protecting you, and now we are tasked with staying with each other, through life and death."

Clotted Cream Cookie rolled his eyes, turning away from his friend– no, fiancee. "Whatever. I miss Royal Milk Tea Cookie. We never get to visit the gardens at Oyster Manor anymore, and the gardens at Mansion Custard are far less interesting to explore. Royal Milk Tea Cookie had a greenhouse to hide in!"

Financier Cookie wasn't oblivious. She understood that Clotted Cream Cookie was hurting after his separation from his best friend, and Royal Milk Tea Cookie was likely hurting as well, missing his favorite of the pair.

"At least we have each other," Financier Cookie sat down beside Clotted Cream Cookie, taking his hand in hers. "Neither of us is completely alone. Isn't that a good thing, Consul?"

Clotted Cream Cookie shrugged. "I guess. I still wish he was here."

Financier Cookie pressed further against the young Cookie, attempting to comfort him. As she felt him lean against her, she noticed tears streaming down his cheeks. Silently, the young paladin embraced her dear friend, promising the pair would be together for as long as time would allow.

I care for you deeply, Consul, Financier Cookie thought to herself, still holding Clotted Cream Cookie tightly as he wept. I hope you can reciprocate the feelings one day.