Chapter Six

"Clotted Cream Cookie," King Dark Cacao Cookie's voice boomed through the fortress. "I despise you the most out of any Cookie I've ever met, and yet you dare visit my kingdom with no notice? What compels you to commit such an act?"

Royal Milk Tea Cookie cringed at the beginning of the exchange. Clotted Cream Cookie had not dealt with things as delicately as he'd liked to at the beginning of the Council with the Ancient Heroes, and Dark Cacao Cookie did not take well to the young Consul. A grudge had been held ever since.

"I understand I am not welcome, but my friend here, the official representative of the Crème Republic, is in dire need of assistance," Clotted Cream Cookie got to the point as quickly as he could manage, ushering the shorter Cookie forward.

"Assistance, you say?" Dark Cacao Cookie's demeanor shifted, likely because he had never met Royal Milk Tea Cookie before, and had no need to be hostile. It wasn't a welcoming tone in the least, but it was far less aggressive.

"Yes, your highness. My mother, a Cookie of the Milk Tribe, made a wish with a dragon and has since broken her end of the deal." Royal Milk Tea Cookie saw the king's eyes widen as he spoke. "In response, the wish dragon has begun to terrorize kingdoms, striking the Republic first. If I fail to find Oat Milk Cookie before it reaches the Vanilla Kingdom, the dragon will crumble me, and may crumble others in its path."

The many guards surrounding Dark Cacao Cookie's throne all looked toward their king, hopeful he would have a solution.

"I haven't heard that name in years," The king simply said, eyes closed as he reminisced.

"What name, your majesty?"

"Oat Milk Cookie," Dark Cacao Cookie clarified. "She was a Milk villager who had helped me when I was down on my luck so many years ago. She had a child... Milk Tea Cookie." The king smiled sadly. Royal Milk Tea Cookie stiffened at the mention of his given name. "It's been too long since we spoke. I understand she has fled her home, though I did not know it was in response to a wish she did not care to pay the terms."

"Do you know where she's run to?" Royal Milk Tea Cookie pressed, but the king shook his head.

"I am sorry, young Cookie, but your mother is nowhere near my nation, and I lack the time to search the land for you. My people need protecting if a dragon is to soon approach."

Captain Caviar Cookie approached the young representative, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, kid. I'm sure the Hollyberry Kingdom will be housing her." The assurance was appreciated, but Royal Milk Tea Cookie knew that there was no guarantee Oat Milk Cookie would be anywhere nearby. He nodded, though, and began to think about the next nation to search.

"Thank you, Dark Cacao Cookie," Royal Milk Tea Cookie bowed his head, turning to leave the fortress. "We will be on our way toward the next nation."

"No, please, Milk Tea Cookie," Dark Cacao Cookie spoke, standing from his seat on the throne. "You are a child of the Dark Cacao Kingdom. How long will your journey last?"

Royal Milk Tea Cookie thought back to the beginning of the trip across the sea. "I think we have six days to make it to the Vanilla Kingdom, Your Majesty."

"Well, before you continue your quest tomorrow, how about we welcome you home with a wondrous feast?" Dark Cacao Cookie boomed, joyful. Many of the guards seemed put off at this excitable demeanor.

"Oh!" Royal Milk Tea Cookie was flattered, glad that he had a positive reputation with at least one head of a nation. "Home? Well, of course! We would be glad to stay within the walls of the Dark Cacao Kingdom's borders for the night."