FIVE

The dull vibration of my phone disrupted my sleep. I grabbed it from under one of my pillows and opened my eyes slightly to see if the call was worth answering at this time of the night.

I sat up hurriedly and answered the call.

I screamed into the phone,"Ke you're not calling me with a foreign number!"

"Hello kawata,"My friend,Ameera greeted enthusiastically.
Remember my only friend that's abroad,studying to benefit her life? Ameera is she.

"Ameera!!"I said in a warning tone. She better not be lying to me right now.

"Yes ma'am. I just landed in Nnamdi Azikiwe Airportttt!"
Oh how I've missed this dummy. She's probably in an open area shouting shamelessly.

I checked the time on my phone,"Babe, it's twelve midnight."

"You don't believe? Wait until I visit you."

"So who's picking you up by this time?"

"I'm sleeping at the airport today."

"Oookay...I can't wait to see you."
I'm lowkey doubting this girl. It could be a prank but I'll go along.

"Sameee!"

I mentally reviewed my week's schedule to see when I'll be free before asking, "Send me your home address."

"Sure. I gotta go."

"Okay,bye."

It's making me smile when I think about how she called me from the airport. She might not take it seriously but that was something to me.

I tossed the phone and laid back with a sigh.
The return of Ameera for holidays means I have been at home for a year,doing nothing to benefit my life indeed.

I spent the next few minutes over analayzing my life and things that could go wrong.

I lost my father to the cold hands of death and since then, life hasn't been thesame anymore.

The sadness took a toll on me hence, my performance in school isn't a happy memory to recollect.

I don't even want to think about our financial situation. How we dropped to the bottom? Life is indeed a cycle.

Just when I was relieved to be done with highschool and get a change of environment, admission to a good university became the most difficult thing to achieve.

I don't even have the energy to think about how sad my life is without friends. Who could've thought Hafsah Ibrahim would one day wake up to be friendless?

Why exactly is this happening to me?
Why me?
Why.....

No, no, no, I can't go back to this kind of thinking. I remember how hard Mama tried to save me from the devil's whispers;he wants me to lose hope.

You've got the wrong person shaitan,hmph!

I quickly got out of bed to perform ablution and pray two raka'ats.

I did my usual positive self talk while I tried going back to sleep

This is just a test from my Lord and I would pass it with flying colors.
It is just a test, it would pass.
Others are going through worse and I should be grateful for having a better life.
Alhamdulillah for food,good health and my mother.

When will the help of Allah come? Indeed the help of Allah is near.
Help me ya Rabb.

///

I finally got the time to visit Ameera two days after her return.
My shift was until noon and I wrapped up and left when it was time.
I went back home and changed out of my jeans into a gown. I should appear decently since there's a high chance I'll come across her mother.